Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ristaul
Frequent Visitor

Using 'What If' parameter as part of a table calculation

Hi Community -

I am trying to use a what if scenario parameter as part of a table calculation. In essence, when I change the parameter value in the slicer, I want the value (on each record of a non-related table) to update.

I feel like it should be easy, but I am stuck.

Here is what has been done:

1. Created a new parameter named 'parameter' that has a max value of 200 and min of 0 and incraments by 10

2. This creates the table 'parameter'

3. I have the parameter slicer and paramater value (as a card) on the canvas, and the card updates dynamically as the slicer is moved

4. I have created a seperate column on a seperate table (unrelated table) that simply calls the parameter value (same thing being visualized on the card - which works on the card). This column in named Test, and the syntax looks as such: Test = 'Parameter' [Parameter Value] *** This is where the issue is *** - It is simply assigning a blank to each record

What I need to happen is for each record on the unrelated table to update as I move the slicer, and impact the parameter value.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Ristaul
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Tad17 

I don't believe the issue has anything to do w/ a table relationship, and I was not trying to call anything from a visual. I simply used the visual to verify that the parameter value was dynamically changing as I used that what if slicer (and it does).

As for seeing that data, I think if you are famriliar with What if (really a 'generateseries' function), I have provided enough information. (in essence it would be a list from 0 to 200 incramenting by 10 as I listed).

I am starting to just simply believe that you cannot use parameter values for column values, but instead they are limited only to measures. I hope that is not the case, but I fear it may be.

Any additional color if you are familiar w/ what I mentioned would be awesome.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

hi @Ristaul 

First, you should know that:

1. Calculation column/table not support dynamic changed based on filter or slicer.
2. Measure can be affected by filter/slicer, so you can use it to get dynamic summary

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Calculate table has the same logic with calculated column, they are getting loaded when you are loading your dataset for first time.

'What If' parameter is a calculated table essentially, and when you create it, It will automatically generate a slicer that by its field in the report.

You could use the dataset to create the report, and Slicer is a visual that only work in current report, it couldn't affect the dataset.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tad17
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

This wont work as there is no relation between your parameter table and the data table. 

Ffurthermore it won't work because you can't call the value from a visual. Without seeing your data or knowing what you're trying to accomplish with your "Parameter" my only suggest is to maybe check out this article and see if it gives you some ideas: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/desktop-slicer-filter-date-range

Ristaul
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Tad17 

I don't believe the issue has anything to do w/ a table relationship, and I was not trying to call anything from a visual. I simply used the visual to verify that the parameter value was dynamically changing as I used that what if slicer (and it does).

As for seeing that data, I think if you are famriliar with What if (really a 'generateseries' function), I have provided enough information. (in essence it would be a list from 0 to 200 incramenting by 10 as I listed).

I am starting to just simply believe that you cannot use parameter values for column values, but instead they are limited only to measures. I hope that is not the case, but I fear it may be.

Any additional color if you are familiar w/ what I mentioned would be awesome.

Thanks!

hi @Ristaul 

First, you should know that:

1. Calculation column/table not support dynamic changed based on filter or slicer.
2. Measure can be affected by filter/slicer, so you can use it to get dynamic summary

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/calculated-columns-and-measures-in-dax/

Calculate table has the same logic with calculated column, they are getting loaded when you are loading your dataset for first time.

'What If' parameter is a calculated table essentially, and when you create it, It will automatically generate a slicer that by its field in the report.

You could use the dataset to create the report, and Slicer is a visual that only work in current report, it couldn't affect the dataset.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.