Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Using Web connection to get a simple HTML table is very slow

I thought it would be handy and quick to grab some simple data from the web. There is an html table with about 30,000 phone devices supported on google play and I wanted to get that into power bi. It works  but each refresh or step I add takes about 40 minutes. Is this usual or is there something I can switch in power bi to speed it up? Below is the M script I am trying to use.

let
    Source = Web.BrowserContents("https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html"),
    #"Extracted Table From Html" = Html.Table(Source, {{"Column1", "TABLE.nice-table > * > TR > :nth-child(1)"}, {"Column2", "TABLE.nice-table > * > TR > :nth-child(2)"}, {"Column3", "TABLE.nice-table > * > TR > :nth-child(3)"}, {"Column4", "TABLE.nice-table > * > TR > :nth-child(4)"}}, [RowSelector="TABLE.nice-table > * > TR"]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Extracted Table From Html", [PromoteAllScalars=true])
in
    #"Promoted Headers"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gooranga1,

It seems like you are trying to get data from the whole web page with html elements.
When you use html table to get data, it means these requests need to waiting for contents loading then get data from these elements and use M query functions to process and extract corresponding records.

I think refresh times are spent on data loading and processing. (waiting for underlying rest api processing and load data to web page, get html elements, process on the response html contents)

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you contact google support to find out the root rest api and direct get data from these api and processing on these data. It should more quickly than waiting for web page data loading and processing.

Google Play Developer API 

Pull data from a REST API Authentication 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gooranga1,

It seems like you are trying to get data from the whole web page with html elements.
When you use html table to get data, it means these requests need to waiting for contents loading then get data from these elements and use M query functions to process and extract corresponding records.

I think refresh times are spent on data loading and processing. (waiting for underlying rest api processing and load data to web page, get html elements, process on the response html contents)

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you contact google support to find out the root rest api and direct get data from these api and processing on these data. It should more quickly than waiting for web page data loading and processing.

Google Play Developer API 

Pull data from a REST API Authentication 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.