Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Theme to set Title Background & Font Color

I'd like to set a default color font and backgrond color for my visuals using an imported theme.

I know you can set some specific components of visuals shown in this link, but the documentation isn't very descriptive or clear to me.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-report-themes/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I've received the below responce from Microsoft, it looks like it is currently not a function available with Themes.

We received an update from product team  that  We don’t yet support formatting the title of visuals through themes.

We have done extensive research and troubleshooting to understand the issue which you are facing. From our findings and after having discussion with product group team we got to know that this is the known issue and this is in our roadmap. Unfortunately we cannot provide any ETA at this moment. So we will be closing this case today. Appreciate your support and partnership with Microsoft. You are our valuable customer and we strive to assist you better and better every day.  

Looks like we just have to wait.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
PeterZ

As of Aug 2018 update you can style the title font, color, backgraound of controls.  You can also set background of the whole report.

eg:

"visualStyles":
{
    "*": 
    {
        "*": 
        {
            "title": [{
                "show": true,
                "fontColor": { "solid": { "color": "#CCDCE4" } },
                "background": { "solid": { "color": "#335462" } },
                "alignment": "left",
                "fontFamily": "Arial",
                "fontSize": 10
            }],

"background": [{
                "show": true,
                "color": { "solid": { "color": "#FFFFFF" } },
                "transparency": 0
            }]
        }
    },

"page": {
        "*": {
            "background": [{
                "color": { "solid": { "color": "#87BED4" } },
                "transparency": 60
            }]
        }
    }

}

See the annoucement from MS here:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2018-feature-summary/#theme

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't get the title color to work. Shouldn't this work?

{
    "visualStyles":{
      "*":{
            "title":[
               {
                  "show":true,
                  "fontColor":{
                     "solid":{
                        "color":"#285c4d"
                     }
                  },            
                  "alignment":"left",
                  "fontSize":16
               }
            ]
         }
      }
   }
}

Did you figure out a way todo this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @turbomanson ,

The below JSON will set the title to show, the font color to white, and the background color to black. Let me know if you have any questions!

{
"name":"My Template",

"visualStyles":{
				"title":[{
					"show":true,
					"fontColor":{"solid":{"color":"#FFFFFF"}},
					"background":{"solid":{"color":"#000000"}}
				}]
			}
		}
	}
}

Can we set the background color of specific visualizatins using themes?

Nevermind, it looks like anything involving color is not possible as of yet:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/issues/307

@Anonymous , thank you very much for your help. I was curious where in documention I can find 

"title"

flag.  I only find this documentation, which does not have this parameter listed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-themes

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous

I've received the below responce from Microsoft, it looks like it is currently not a function available with Themes.

We received an update from product team  that  We don’t yet support formatting the title of visuals through themes.

We have done extensive research and troubleshooting to understand the issue which you are facing. From our findings and after having discussion with product group team we got to know that this is the known issue and this is in our roadmap. Unfortunately we cannot provide any ETA at this moment. So we will be closing this case today. Appreciate your support and partnership with Microsoft. You are our valuable customer and we strive to assist you better and better every day.  

Looks like we just have to wait.

Is there already an update about formatting the titels of visuals using json?

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not that I've seen.

Have you tried it? If so, can you post what your solution is and I'll mark it as the solution!

I have tried several things, but still not possible as far as I know. 

Still waiting for an update that makes it possible to expand the json theme file

Microsoft, do you have an update on this. This does not seem hard and is needed to have complete control of a theme.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work, that's probably the best I could have hoped for. Glad to hear it's on their road map.

Thanks for your efforts,

Will

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to achieve exactly the same thing but finding the documentation a bit of a nightmare to decipher.

Currently I'm trying to create a simple title color format for all visuals ao under visual styles we start with * * * so this is a generic theme but even after searching through the massive text dump at the end of the documentation I'm still struggling to find the property that allows me to set title color, the best I can manage is this:

"*"{

"*"{

"cardTitle": { "color": { "#3a2178"}}

}

}

}

Which doesn't seem to work and is different to the documentation as the documentation doesn't really specify anywhere to even type a color. I'm so confused and a bit flustered.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be absolutely absurd if we have all of these options but cannot set the title background color and text color for all visuals.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-shex-msft

I've tried using that tool, but it doesn't offer the option to change visuals title color.

@Anonymous

I have also tried using something similar to what you've posted, however I'm unable to get that to work either.

Visual title/header colors and font colors seem like a basic function and I agree that the documentation released regarding themes is less than helpful. I would love to see some more detailed information on creating those JSON files so that I can trully create a visual standard across our organization.

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on further test, some of properties seems not suport to use in custom theme.
Test result:
1. Use 'background' and 'foreground' to setting color, it works.
2. Use specific structure to setting specific properties. Power bi can import custom theme but not apply on the report.

In addition, you can also contact to power bi team to known more about this.

Reference link:

Create custom color themes - Power BI Tips & Tricks #34

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin,

thanks for your reply but I'm afraid background and foreground only apply to matrix and table styles. What we are discussing are Titles for all visuals and the color of the Title background and the color of the font in the Title.

Our main gripe being that while yes you can set specific structure properties it looks like (although it's hard to know for sure as the documentation is unclear to me) you cannot alter the properties of titles in visuals. Despite titles being a common property of all visuals.

Getting in contact with the PBI team is a good idea, do you know the best way to do that?

Thanks,

Will

Hi @Anonymous,

Perhaps you can submit it at support page:

Power bi Support

I'm not so sure if external users can direct contact to 'power bi desktop team', it seems like an internal group.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Can you ensure you used on the supported visual and properties? I don't think you can use it to setting the unsupported properties.

In addition, you can also try to use below generator:

Report Theme Generator V3 

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.