Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alicek
Helper II
Helper II

Using Text.PadStart in Query Editor of a Custom Column to add 0 in front of single digits?

Hello all, 

I have a column with site IDs that are filled with: 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 12, A, AB, and B. 

Only the sites with numbers are "Construction" sites (the alphabetic site IDs are a different kind of site). 
I am creating a custom column that will re-write these IDs to match another table I need to merge onto using that column.

Then the column would be filled in with: Site 01, Site 02, Site 03, Site 04, Site 10, Site 11, Site 12, Site A, Site AB, and Site B.

I wrote this text in the Custom Column editor, but it is not adding a 0 in front of the single digit numbers:

if [Site Type] = "Construction"
then Text.Combine({"Site ", Text.PadStart(Text.From([#"Site #"], "en-US"), 2, "0")})
else Text.Combine({"Site ", Text.PadStart(Text.From([#"Site #"], "en-US"), 1)})

Can anyone point me to where I've gone wrong? Thank you!!

P.S. If I'm going in the wrong direction, and you can re-write this not to be based on Construction, but just a way that always adds a 0 to single digit numbers (not letters or double-digit numbers), then that would be great too! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@alicek - I attempted as:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom1", each Text.Combine({"Site ", if Value.Is(Value.FromText([siteID]), type number) then Text.PadStart([siteID],2,"0") else [siteID]}))

image.png

Used → https://stackoverflow.com/a/39736101

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@alicek - I attempted as:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom1", each Text.Combine({"Site ", if Value.Is(Value.FromText([siteID]), type number) then Text.PadStart([siteID],2,"0") else [siteID]}))

image.png

Used → https://stackoverflow.com/a/39736101

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

It looks alright to me.

Debug it by cutting it right down.  Try adding a column with just 

Text.PadStart(Text.From([#"Site #"], "en-US"), 2, "0")

If that works, add in the Text.Combine, then the 'if'statement

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @alicek 

This code will work.  Here's a sample PBIX file.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wcs7PKy4pKk0uyczPU9JRMlSK1YlW8k9Ly0xOhXPR1BihqjHCpsYYVY0xNjUmqGpMsKkxNEBzkAE2VY6oihydiFCEVQ1QMBYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Site Type" = _t, #"Site ID" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Site Type", type text}, {"Site ID", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if [Site Type] = "Construction" and List.ContainsAny(Text.ToList([Site ID]), { "0" .. "9" }) then Text.Combine( {"Site ",Text.PadStart([Site ID],2,"0")}) else if [Site Type] = "Construction" then Text.Combine( {"Site ", [Site ID]} ) else [Site ID])
in
    #"Added Custom"

To give you this

sites.png

I wasn't sure of your table structure and column names but if you have trouble adapting this to your situation let me know and I can help further.

Regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.