Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using SQL Authentication

Just experienced a very strange problem in Power BI Desktop. It seems like it is stuck to Windows Authentication when trying to connect to a SQL Server ??? So how do I connect with SQL Authentication?? This problem exists even when trying to connect to an Azure Database as well so this of course will not work.. Any suggestions??

11 REPLIES 11
tbmccoy
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I can confirm that skipping past the credential management screen is still a behavior in  version 2.40.4554.421 64-bit (October 2016).   This appears to manifest itself when your domain account already has access to the server.

I expect that this behavior was probably intended as a *feature*, but it is in fact a bit of a pain.  The issue is that, by default, my personal domain account (which has elevated privileges in the db) gets used in fetching objects/data for the report.  Like many devs, my default db privileges allow me access to data that is well beyond the scope of any single report.  It's not at all clear to me what will happen when I pass this off to other devs/users to maintain.  I expect it would either introduce a security hole, or stop connecting to the data.  Neither option is good.

As per smoupre's suggestion suggestion, you can change to sqlAuth later, although this is a nuisance at best... 

HTH,

__T

As of Version: 2.48.4792.721 64-bit (July, 2017) it is still a nuisance. PowerBI, in erratic fashion, skips past asking for the account name if the current user has access to the DB with Windows credentials. Yes, additional steps in other locations can be taken to fix the issue so that the account with the proper DB grants to tables and procs is active.

Please fix this.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-sadadi Are you using the enterprise or personal gateway? I guess, otherwise it will not work.

Both of the gateways "open" the source for the use by the web-service. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In File | Options and settings | Data source settings, you can go in and edit the credentials of your existing data sources.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler! I have no idea how my credentials got saved in correctly, but that did the trick for me. I was able to connect to my SQL Server DB using SSMS and a Power Pivot, but not Power BI. Had a hunch that it was tied to my credentials.

I Could not refresh the dataset published on the Power BI site with SQL Authentication credentials as we do not have an option for Database credentials on the Power BI site. Please suggest.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

"I Could not refresh the dataset published on the Power BI site with SQL Authentication credentials as we do not have an option for Database credentials on the Power BI site. Please suggest."

Could you please provide a screenshot of that?

@Bjoern wrote:

"I Could not refresh the dataset published on the Power BI site with SQL Authentication credentials as we do not have an option for Database credentials on the Power BI site. Please suggest."

Could you please provide a screenshot of that?

Hi Bjoern,

Please find below for the error I get when I try to refresh my dataset which is SQL Authenticated.

"

Something went wrong.

Failed to load data sources. Please try again later.

Activity ID30bcd8c3-756a-19ff-9b0e-2af2494b03cf
Request IDa8b8eef6-b83a-9168-3ec0-34deb1957bde
Status code404
TimeMon Dec 07 2015 15:06:14 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version11.0.9168.961
"

Please help..

Thanks
Satya

Hi Team,

I get the below error when I try refresh the Dataset published on the Power BI site.

Something went wrong.

Failed to load data sources. Please try again later.

Activity ID3d57f514-e112-c34f-68e8-6200f56160ca
Request IDfe8adc00-5033-1143-d182-17eb1ca83c8f
Status code404
TimeFri Dec 04 2015 12:07:55 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version11.0.9168.906

Any quick help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Satya

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. Very strange.. Now it works fine !!? Hmm.. Well thanks for ur help anyway 🙂

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Anonymous I don't think this a an issue. I tried connecting many times and worked well. For your reference follow the steps below:

1.png

After entering server name and database name (optional), select Database and enter username and password and hit connect. Tried connecting even SQL Database on Azure VM and worked. Hope this helps!

2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.