Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MPereira
Frequent Visitor

Using R in Query Editor

Hello experts,

I need to understand how to run an R script in Power BI and I found the link desktop-r-in-query-editor.

At first the script did not work, until I found the post Error-in-running-an-R-script-in-Power-Query. The error stopped happening, however the CompletedValues column did not appear in my fields panel.

Captura de Tela 2018-12-26 às 13.59.46.png

Captura de Tela 2018-12-26 às 14.00.02.png

Captura de Tela 2018-12-26 às 14.00.13.png

Anyone have any idea what might be happening?

I downloaded the final .pbix file provided by the article, but the same problem occurs!

Please, help me.

Best regards,

Marcelo.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To me it looks like you aren't referencing the missing values column of completedData correctly.

When you load the data using dataset <-read.csv, by default it replaces the spaces within column names with periods. In particular, "SMI missing values" becomes "SMI.missing.values" so the last step in the R script doesn't do anything since it refers to a nonexistant column.

There are two easy fixes. Pick one or the other but not both.

1. Change the last line.
    output$completedValues <- completedData$"SMI missing values"
    output$completedValues <- completedData$"SMI.missing.values"
  2. Add an argument to read.csv to prevent this replacement.
    dataset <- read.csv (file = "<path>", header = TRUE, sep = ",")
    dataset <- read.csv (file = "<path>", header = TRUE, check.names=FALSE, sep = ",")

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MPereira
Frequent Visitor

Do you understand my problem and can you help me?

To me it looks like you aren't referencing the missing values column of completedData correctly.

When you load the data using dataset <-read.csv, by default it replaces the spaces within column names with periods. In particular, "SMI missing values" becomes "SMI.missing.values" so the last step in the R script doesn't do anything since it refers to a nonexistant column.

There are two easy fixes. Pick one or the other but not both.

1. Change the last line.
    output$completedValues <- completedData$"SMI missing values"
    output$completedValues <- completedData$"SMI.missing.values"
  2. Add an argument to read.csv to prevent this replacement.
    dataset <- read.csv (file = "<path>", header = TRUE, sep = ",")
    dataset <- read.csv (file = "<path>", header = TRUE, check.names=FALSE, sep = ",")

Wow!!!

Thanks @AlexisOlson

Your help was crucial!

Best regards!

It looks as if your simply referencing the wrong field from the table. In the column [Value], click on the "Table" in the first row instead of the second.

image.png

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

@ImkeF The output table is supposed to have three columns where the third reads from the second column of completedData.

Neither of those two tables produces the expected output since the column reference is getting messed up in the last line of the R script like I explained above.

Hi @MPereira

I test by following this link and i meet the same problem as you do.

But i'm not familiar with R language, so i'm consulting with senior engineers how to solve this problem.

For any workaround to use R in Power bi, you could refer to other links.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-r-ide

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-r-visuals

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft.

Thank you so much for your help and your the senior engineers team!

However, @AlexisOlson's response helped me solve the problem!

Thank you again!

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MPereira

The link Error-in-running-an-R-script-in-Power-Query is missing, i can't reproduce your problem, could you provide more details?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft and @AlexisOlson,

Let's try!

The error link refers to a post where they suggest adding one more line of code with the path mapping of the CSV file used in the demonstration.

Here's the line of code:
dataset <- read.csv (file = "C: / Users / user / Google Drive / PowerPivot Power BI / EuStockMarkets_NA.csv", header = TRUE, sep = ",")

Follow the link again:

I changed the path to my local settings and the R script started working.

However, from what I could understand, the script should return a column called CompletedValues, but this is not happening!

I hope now I have been able to explain better!

Thank you for your help
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Did you change the R script at all? I can't reproduce what you're seeing.

Try Refresh Preview on the Home tab just in case it cached something wrong too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors