Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Power BI for multiple similar databases

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to find the best way to create a consolidated dashboard for my holding company. 

Some of my companies are using the same software but each one has a separate database. 

I would like to implement a dashboard with all my clients, suppliers, articles, invoices and so on.

I can extract automatically CSV files for each database. Each CSV has the same name for all the companies (ex: Clients.CSV). 

How can I do into Power BI to consolidate all the similar files together while not loosing the fact that it is from company A or B, for example ? 

How can I handle the IDs which are going to be similar in all the databases but would absolutely not represent the same thing ? 

Is someone able to help me ? or to send me some documentation to learn about it?

Have a nice day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , My advice would be to consolidate these into a database with company id/tenant id in each table and have new keys to join with other tables. so that you can have one key join in power bi

Else , say you have Table A for 2 companies.

Bring both on them to power BI, Add company id column if not available at the source. Create concatenated key 

key = [Company ID] & " - " [Table ID]

or

key =  [Company ID] *1000000000 +  [Table ID]  // multiple to make sure table can not overlap with company if

Merge two table A in power query. Do the same for other tables

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , My advice would be to consolidate these into a database with company id/tenant id in each table and have new keys to join with other tables. so that you can have one key join in power bi

Else , say you have Table A for 2 companies.

Bring both on them to power BI, Add company id column if not available at the source. Create concatenated key 

key = [Company ID] & " - " [Table ID]

or

key =  [Company ID] *1000000000 +  [Table ID]  // multiple to make sure table can not overlap with company if

Merge two table A in power query. Do the same for other tables

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Amitchandak. Going to test it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.