cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmscorca Member

Using Power BI as a CPM solution?

Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has used Power BI as a CPM solution and if yes by with which his features.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Using Power BI as a CPM solution?

@pmscorca,

I am not familiar with CPM. What features would you like to get in Power BI?

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
pmscorca Member

Hi Lydia,

a CPM solution allows to input budgeting data in the system; so, Power BI should allow to insert data.

Thanks

Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

@pmscorca,

You can  import required data from your data source to Power BI Desktop, then calculate budget using DAX in Power BI.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
danextian New Contributor
New Contributor

I remember seeing something similar with your requirement from a vendor's (poweronbi) showcase in last year Data insight Summit. Their tool is called Power Planner which has the ability to writeback to the database. Here's the demo:

http://poweronbi.com/ppdemo/

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
www.linkedin.com/in/danebelarminocpa
pmscorca Member

Hi Lydia,

what you suggest it is a known forced workaround to remedy to the absence of the write-back feature. Nowadays, each Microsoft on-memory tabular technology (e.g. SSAS Tabular, PowerPivot, Power BI) hasn't a such feature, but it is present for SSAS multidimensional.

Thanks

pmscorca Member

Hi Danextian,

but you talk about a solution implemented by a 3-rd party vendor and not a Power BI feature directly implemented by Microsoft.

Thanks