Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarshP

Using Perviousday to compare values between days excluding weekends

I'm new to power BI and am trying to understand some of the functions.

I want a report that shows the difference in values beween 2 dates but exclude weekends

I have multiple items in multiple categories displaying on a day and want to know if the category was not in the report yestarday but is today (In=1) or is no longer in the report today (Out =-1) or is not in the report on either day Null or 0 over a period of time (last 2 weeks)

I only want to show the data when there has been an increase or decrease in the category

The way I have approached it so far:

Count Category = DISTINCTCOUNT(T_Data[Category])

Count Category Previous Day = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(T_Data[Category),PREVIOUSDAY(T_Data[Reporting_Date]))

Change in Category = IF(ISBLANK([Count Category]),0,[Count Category])-IF(ISBLANK([Count Category Previous Day]),0,[Count Category Previous Day])

I would then filter out where "Change in Category" = Null Values or 0 Values

This works well except on Monday there are no values from the previous day so everything shows up.

Ideally I want a crosstable with Category down the side and date across the top with -1,1 or 0 for each category value against a date:

MonTueWedThuFriMonTueWedThuFri
 3-Sep-184-Sep-185-Sep-186-Sep-187-Sep-1810-Sep-1811-Sep-1812-Sep-1813-Sep-1814-Sep-18
Item11 -1   1  -1
Item2 1   -1  1 
Item3-1  1  -1   
Item4          
Item5   -1      
Item6     1    

Total01-1000001-1

Eventually I'd like to turn the table into visuals 1= Green Check; -1 = Red cross, 0 = gray circle

Any advice would be appreciated

P

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MarshP,

Due to I could not reproduce your data structure, you could use the unichar function and refer to below measures:

The measure about "visuals 1= Green Check":

Measure = IF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[Mon]))=1,UNICHAR(10003))

Set the conditional formatting

1.PNG

2.PNG

Measure about  "0 = gray circle":

Measure2 = IF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[Thu]))=BLANK(),UNICHAR(9898))

Measure about "-1 = Red cross":

Measure 3 = IF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[Wed]))=-1,UNICHAR(10005)) 

And you also need to set the conditional formatting.

Result:

1.PNG

You could also refer to below link and download the pbix file to have a view.

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/dax-unichar-function-power-bi/

https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTips/unicode-symbols.html

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msftThanks for this! I will definately be adding this once I resolve my issue with Monday comparing to Sunday and not Friday.

This is really helpful for the next step.

P

Hi @MarshP,

It's pleasant that your problem could be solved, could you please mark my reply as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.