Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

simonb
Regular Visitor

Using Paramters to define ODBC connection

Hi,

Wondering if there's a way to use a parameter to define the ODBC Data source. I want to connect via CData's ODBC driver for Xero. This provides access to multiple tables via SQL statements. I have parameters for the ConnectionString, and the SQL filters. The SQL filter works fine, but if I swap in a parameter for the COnnectionString it reads the parameter reference as the ConnectionString and throws an error.

This works:

= Odbc.Query("dsn=BFA Sys", "Select * from TrialBalance where date=[PeriodEnding]")

would like it to be:

= Odbc.Query("dsn=[Connection]", "Select * from TrialBalance where date=[PeriodEnding]")

where [Connection] is a parameter returning the connection source, but this gives an error saying [Connection] is not a valid source.

Is there some syntax I'm missing?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@simonb I believe it would be like below, assuming your parameter name is Connection

= Odbc.Query("dsn=" & [Connection] & ", "Select * from TrialBalance where date=[PeriodEnding]")

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k thanks,  that returns a Token Comma Expected error highlighting Select

I've tried a few iterations but can't find one that works...any thoughts?

Thanks,

Simon

@simonb sorry I had typo in my message, try this

= Odbc.Query("dsn=" & [Connection] & ", Select * from TrialBalance where date=[PeriodEnding]")

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k 

That changes the error to:

Expression.Error: There is an unknown identifier. Did you use the [field] shorthand for a _[field] outside of an 'each' expression?

Sorry!

I think this will work:

= Odbc.Query("dsn=" & Connection & "", Select * from TrialBalance where date=[PeriodEnding]")

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.