Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Parameter and measure combination in custom column

Hello! 

I have recently been struggling to using a paramter in caluclations in DAX. Currently I have been attempting to use a parameter for a user to input the years of interest. After determining the years of interest the hope is to be able to identify the range (and eventually perform specific calculations on those years. 

I have began this process with a simple identifying DAX code but it seems to not recognize the values correctly and I am unsure why. I will describe my process below... 

1. Import table (Table4) of years ([years]). 

2. Create parameter using the modeling tab in the desktop for values 2000-2016. DAX code seen below for paramter. 

"Parameter Years (strt) = GENERATESERIES(2000, 2030, 1)"

3. Create a measure referencing this parameter. DAX seen below. 

"Measure = selectedvalue('Parameter Years (strt)'[Parameter Years])"

4. Reference this measure in a new column. DAX seenbelow. 

"Identifier Column = if(Table4[Years] = [measure],1,0)"

When the parameter is set to 202 (or any other value) all of the values in the new custom column read 0. Although if I change the dax formula for the column to represent a number rather than the measure the formula works correctly and identifies the number I was looking for. With saying this I was wondering if there were specific limitations to using measures and or parameters in calculationsin this scenario? 

Thanks in advance. I would be happy to provide more information if it is needed as well! 

Austin I 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may use below measure2 to get dynamic parameters.For example:

Measure 2 = IF(MAX(Table1[Years])=[measure],1,0)

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

You may use below measure2 to get dynamic parameters.For example:

Measure 2 = IF(MAX(Table1[Years])=[measure],1,0)

a1.png

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That worked perfectly thanks so much!! 

Austin I 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.