Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Odata feed to connect to Azure Devops, all projects within the organization.

Hi,

Currently i made some awesome dashboards using both the Azure Devops Analytics Views aswell as the Odata feed to connect to the Azure Devops API.

For the API i used the following URL: https://[organization name].analytics.visualstudio.com/[project name]/_odata/v3.0-preview to request for example all the Work item information. This works like a charm.

But now the issue: i want to request all workitems for all projects at once. 

I was planning to do this using the following URL:

https://analytics.dev.azure.com/[organization name]/_odata/v3.0-preview

Here the problems begin. While i use the following link im for example allowed to request all the Projects information. But when i use this link to request the WorkItems information i get the error Access to the resource is fobidden. 

I tried searching for a solution on Google and i believe this has something to do with collection level permission within Devops however im not 100% sure. Besides that, the organization does not want to give me full administrator permissions there, which is understandable. 

Im looking for people who had the same issues and know how to set and what permissions i need to request the whole lot.
Thanks alot for once again helping me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the delay.

Based on the official docuement, you need to be granted the View analytics permission if you want to edit an Analytics view or connect to an Analytics view in Power BI.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my tests based on your description, I could reproduce your issue like below.

error.png

I'm afraid that this issue is caused by the permission by my research.

By my test again, I could get the data for all projects when I have the admin permission.

success.png

So you should contact with the admin and ask for the permission to have access to all project.

In addition, you could have a reference of this document to know which permission you should have.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, Thankyou for reaching out. 

If i understand correctly i only need view analytics on a organizational level?

The administrator asked me to find out exactly what i need, because im the first in this company doing something with business intelligence. And she does not want to give me full admin rights, since i do not want to edit/delete anything.

Could you maybe be a little more clear on how and where to set the correct permissions? i would really appreciate that.

Kind regards,

Eric Hulshof.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for the delay.

Based on the official docuement, you need to be granted the View analytics permission if you want to edit an Analytics view or connect to an Analytics view in Power BI.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

What if you don't have access to all projects in an organisation but are part of several projects? The Odata connection give the same error but I would have through it would return all the items I have access to.

Any throughts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Currently i made some awesome dashboards using both the Azure Devops Analytics Views aswell as the Odata feed to connect to the Azure Devops API.

For the API i used the following URL: https://[organization name].analytics.visualstudio.com/[project name]/_odata/v3.0-preview to request for example all the Work item information. This works like a charm.

But now the issue: i want to request all workitems for all projects at once. 

I was planning to do this using the following URL:

https://analytics.dev.azure.com/[organization name]/_odata/v3.0-preview

Here the problems begin. While i use the following link im for example allowed to request all the Projects information. But when i use this link to request the WorkItems information i get the error Access to the resource is fobidden. 

I tried searching for a solution on Google and i believe this has something to do with collection level permission within Devops however im not 100% sure. Besides that, the organization does not want to give me full administrator permissions there, which is understandable. 

Im looking for people who had the same issues and know how to set and what permissions i need to request the whole lot.
Thanks alot for once again helping me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.