Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sunb1
Frequent Visitor

Using OR in a RELATED calculated column - return value based on two related tables

Hi - PLEASE HELP!! 🙂

i have two lookup tables connected to a data table. Both can get me the column i want in the data table (ie, INDUSTRY), but through different relationships. Can I use the OR function in a RELATED calculated column so that it will retrieve the correct INDUSTRY based on EITHER lookup table 1 or lookup table 2?

Thank you!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So that's the approach i took, but i had to to do two calculated columns using RELATED and then a final column with an IF statement, saying if the answer is not satisfied from the first column, then use the second column. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunb1 try using variables to get this

Industry col final =

var ind1 = related(table 1 industry)

var ind2 = related(table 2 industry)

return if(condition, ind1,ind2)

if it is driven by filters then it will have to be a measure.

So that's the approach i took, but i had to to do two calculated columns using RELATED and then a final column with an IF statement, saying if the answer is not satisfied from the first column, then use the second column. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunb1 hey just curious, isn't my ans the accepted solution to your problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think you can use OR function in RELATED function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.