Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

michaelch

Using OData Feed with SharePoint

Using the OData feed in PowerBI I have successfully connected a SharePoint 2016 Online document library to PowerBI. I want a graphical report, bar chart or pie chart for this example, to report on a custom column I have created called document type. However, when I select the field I want to report on in PowerBI and then select the bar chart graph icon nothing happens. No bar chart displays with my document type data.

Can you add graphical reporting to custom columns created in a document library in SharePoint Online 2016?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @michaelch,

In your scenario, you should be able to use a clustered bar chart, then put doc type column in Axis field, Count of doc type in Value field for the chart like below.Smiley Happy

r5.PNG

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @michaelch,

Based on my understanding, if you have successfully loaded the custom column "document type" to your data mode in Power BI, then you should be able to show it on the report.

However, when I select the field I want to report on in PowerBI and then select the bar chart graph icon nothing happens. No bar chart displays with my document type data.

How do you want show the data of "document type" column for the bar chart, as the Axis, or Value? If you want it shown as the Axis for the bar chart, you still need to specify a column for the Value field of the bar chart, or the bar chart won't display anything.Smiley Happy

r1.PNGr2.PNG

Regards

Maybe a bar chart is the wrong graphical representation. In SharePoint Online 2016 I have created a costum column in a document library to track document types. What I would like to do in Power BI is to show graphically how many of a certain docuemnt type I have.

12 of doc type 1

3 of doc type 4

8 of doc type 5

2 of doc 6

etc.

I was hoping that Power BI could just sum up the total count of a particular doc type and then display this in a bar chart. The doc type would be the axis on the bar chart. 

Hi @michaelch,

In your scenario, you should be able to use a clustered bar chart, then put doc type column in Axis field, Count of doc type in Value field for the chart like below.Smiley Happy

r5.PNG

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.