Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

uni_student
Frequent Visitor

Using Multiple Measures in A Visual (Spider/Radar Chart or any other visual besides table/matrix)

I have some industrial data with the table name 'December' consisting of many columns, but to simplify I have showed 3 columns below:

PBIDesktop_MRHLPae5Ni.png

Here, the 'Source' denotes the name of the alarm, the 'TimeActive' is not important, and the 'Hour' denotes the hour of the day when the alarm occured. I need to display the data (basically the count of source) in visuals. For this, I have a slicer giving the user the option to select the range of Hours from which to choose to display the data for those particular hours.

The problem is, I want to display the data for the hours that the user has not selected, as well, and this should be displayed as zero. The reason for this is, that I am displaying the number of alarms on a spider chart/radar chart like this:

PBIDesktop_T8fGGVybhH.png

This works fine, when all the hours have been selected. However, when the user selects a range of hours like, for instance, 0-9, then the clock like structure of the radar chart is ruined as all the categories for all the hours not selected just disappear. I need a data structure or technique in which these categories do not disappear but instead show up as zero value on the chart. To address this, I have tried many things, including, using DAX as,

0_count = IF(ISBLANK(COUNTROWS(FILTER('December', December[Hour] == 0))), 0, COUNTROWS(FILTER('December', December[Hour] == 0)))

This basically creates a measure using the above required criteria. Return 0 if the user does not select the hour 0, else return the number of alarms corresponding to hour 0.
I did this for all the 24 hours and thought I was getting somewhere. But now I realize I cannot use these measures in the actual visual.

I have been looking up on how to store these measures in a table in the form of something like
HourCount
00_count
11_count
22_count
33_count

But even this is not possible to do using any technique that I have come across.

Can someone please help me out or has some suggestions as to what to do? It seems Power BI has some excellent features, but always somehow manages to fall just short of perfection due to a missing feature.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @uni_student,

Please remove the measure on 'visual level filter' and use below measure formula to replace 'source' field which you used on Y axis:

Measure =
IF (
    MAX ( 'Alarms2019-1-1'[Hour] ) IN ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Value] ),
    COUNT ( 'Alarms2019-1-1'[Source] )
)

It will dynamically replace selected hours with zero and keep other 'count of source' not changes.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Perhaps try using a disconnected table of hours. Use that in your radar chart. Construct your measure like:

VAR __Alarms =

SWITCH('DisconnectedHours'[Hour],

1,CALCULATE([Alarms Measure],'Table'[Hour]=1,

2,CALCULATE([Alarms Measure],'Table'[Hour]=2,

)

RETURN
  IF(ISBLANK(__Alarms),0,__Alarms)

If you could post as text, I (or others) could experiment with it.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi, thanks for replying. But I have the same problem as the previous solution. I did try the method you suggested, however, the data does not get filtered dynamically. That is, when the user selects hour range 0-5, for example, the other hours (6-23) should show 0 on the radar chart. Instead the values remain fixed. I can achieve the same by just turning off slicer interaction with the radar chart.

I realize that calculated tables do not get refreshed on slicer selection, only on data refresh. So is there any way to get the above requirement working?

I have attached a pbix file if you want to play around with it. Google Drive Link For PBIX File 

Thanks a lot.  

Hi @uni_student,

You can create a calculated table with 0 ~23 as the source of the slicer that not related to raw table records.
Then you can write a measure formula to compare selected value and raw table records to return tag and use it on visual level filter:

Table = GENERATESERIES(0,23,1)
Measure =
IF (
    "N",
    "Y"
)

9.png

Regards,

Xiaoxin SHeng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank You so much for your reply! And I am learning a few new things from these replies. But this still does not solve my problem. Let me be bit more clear.

In the PIBIX file that I have attached, I basically want the radar chart to not change shape. It should retain the same 24 hour categories, i.e. as when there is no slicer selection. When there is a slicer selection, for instance, hours 0-10, the radar chart should show the number of sources (or alarms) for hours 0-10. For hours 11-23, the categories in the radar chart correspinding to 11-23 should not disappear. Instead, the number of sources in this NOT SELECTED range should go to 0. In this way, the 24 categories of the radar chart will remin intact.

So, if this worked, it would be something like,

0_count = IF(ISBLANK(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Alarms2019-1-1', Alarms2019-1-1[Hour] == 0))), 0, COUNTROWS(FILTER('Alarms2019-1-1', Alarms2019-1-1[Hour] == 0)))

1_count = IF(ISBLANK(COUNTROWS(FILTER('Alarms2019-1-1', Alarms2019-1-1[Hour] == 1))), 0, COUNTROWS(FILTER('Alarms2019-1-1', Alarms2019-1-1[Hour] == 1)))

23_count = ....

So, we would have 24 such measures. If Power BI allowed to put these measures into a new table in a single column and allowed real time refresh of this new table, then I would be able to use this column in my radar chart, and my number of categories would remain the same with changing slicer selections. Only the 'Y' values of the radar chart would change with changing slicer selections.

Is there any other possible way to achieve this, or am I just wasting my time?

HI @uni_student,

Please remove the measure on 'visual level filter' and use below measure formula to replace 'source' field which you used on Y axis:

Measure =
IF (
    COUNT ( 'Alarms2019-1-1'[Source] )
)

It will dynamically replace selected hours with zero and keep other 'count of source' not changes.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

One approach is to make a simple DAX calculated table with something like

Hour = GenerateSeries(1,12,1) and use that Hour[Value] column in the visual

You can then write a measure like this

NewMeasure = Calculate([OriginalMeasure], TreatAs(Values[Hour[Value]), OriginalTable[Hour]) +0

That way the slicer on your original hour column won't also filter your visual "axis".

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you for replying. So I did try the method you suggested, however, the data does not get filtered dynamically. That is, when the user selects hour range 0-5, for example, the other hours (6-23) should show 0 on the radar chart. Instead the values remain fixed. I can achieve the same by just turning off slicer interaction with the radar chart.

I realize that calculated tables do not get refreshed on slicer selection, only on data refresh. So is there any way to get the above requirement working?

I have attached a pbix file if you want to play around with it.

Thanks a lot.  Google Drive Link for PBIX File 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.