Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Microsoft Form Data

I was wondering if I could get a clever solution from you guys.  

I have data being collected from a Microsoft form.  I was wondering if you guys had a more elegant way of capturing the data as it comes through. 

Right now I use a 'Conditional Column' and look for the entire string. If it is there it sets a new column to true.   I have to create a new column for each answer with this method 😞 . This is becoming cumbersome.

My overall desire is to have the data be used easily in graphs and charts.

DemoOutput.png

Below is an example dump of data.

AttributeValue
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document Information About the Work-Around;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document in the Description Why the Urgency was Changed;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureUrgency Does Not Match Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document Information About the Work-Around;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document in the Description Why the Urgency was Changed;Did Not Document Information About the Work-Around;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document Information About the Work-Around;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document in the Description Why the Urgency was Changed;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document Information About the Work-Around;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;Urgency Does Not Match Description;
Detail on Urgency FailureDid Not Document Information About the Work-Around;Did Not Capture Answers to Urgency Questions in Description;Urgency Does Not Match Description;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you, @Anonymous. It's quite clear now.

We can split the [Value] in the Query Editor. Then we can create a Matrix easily. Please check out the demo in the attachment.

Using_Microsoft_Form_Data

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I find difficulties in reaching a Forms source I did not created.You seems OK with source : for me Forms https URL  is not aknoloedge as a web source apparently : how did you got your Forms source from PBI Desktop ?

thx in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you did not create the source it will be difficult to import. 

https://davidlozzi.com/2018/02/06/use-microsoft-forms-to-collect-data-right-into-your-excel-file/

I used this guide previously to create a form with an excel file.  I would then import that file into power bi.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm afraid I'm not quite clear about your scenario. 

1. Why didn't you have to create a new column? How?

2. Just look at the visual, we can easily get it with the visual "Matrix".

3. I don't see any "sets a new column to true".

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msftSure!

Ok sorry if I was not clear....

So let me start with what Power BI does automatically.  I will use the data I have posted in the earlier reply. 

If you just add that data to a matrix you will get this...

2018-06-19 13_44_49-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

The problem is that the answers that feature 2 or more answers in the cell is treated as a unique reply.

This is what the data entry side looks like for the form....

2018-06-19 14_14_58-Microsoft Forms.png

-------------------------------------

What I was doing to seperate out the answer was to use a conditional column.

2018-06-19 13_45_56-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

2018-06-19 13_47_09-.png

The statement looks for just part of the string and will make the new column get a value of 1 (true) if it is present in that cell.

I used "Did not capture answers to urgency question in description" for this example. 

I can then sum or use the columns to make an accuracte representation of when those options are selected.  Everything between a ; in the demo data are seperate selections.

2018-06-19 14_02_19-DEMO EXAMPLE - Power BI Desktop.png

I hope this cleared things up!  Let me know if it is still confusing. 

I really wish there was a way to let Power BI know the data in seperated by a ;

Thank you, @Anonymous. It's quite clear now.

We can split the [Value] in the Query Editor. Then we can create a Matrix easily. Please check out the demo in the attachment.

Using_Microsoft_Form_Data

Best Regards,

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was able to use that method in both excel and power bi,  thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.