Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Inner Join Merge to create a new tble that filters in sales data frm table of unique customers

Im trying to create a new table in power query that only shows sales data from a unique list of customers. The unique list of customers are listed on a different table, seperate from the sales table. 

Im trying to accomplish this by merging queries using INNER JOIN. Instead of getting a new table filled with only sales data from the unique list of customers, im just getting a duplicate of the original sales table. 

Am I wrong for using the merge query function? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could do a merge query, your two tables. Select the table with the unique customers as primary table, and sales as secondary. Join kind would be All from first, matching from second. Does this work?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CoreyP
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Sounds like you could just use a relationship between the two tables, then when you build your visualization, you would use your customer field from your "unique customers" table, and the amount field from the sales table. Power BI should only show you the total sales for those unique customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CoreyP 

Yea I figured I could do the filtering on the report layer, but I wanted to create a dataset to be used by others as well. 

You could do a merge query, your two tables. Select the table with the unique customers as primary table, and sales as secondary. Join kind would be All from first, matching from second. Does this work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.