Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using If to prevent a table displaying

Hi

I am running a report which raw data is added to every 5 weeks. That data is then manipulated into a cumulative totals table to calculate the number of incidents per person per block to enable comparisons to be made.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Cum_Total"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UPN", type text}, {"Block", Int64.Type}, {"PP", type text}, {"Year", type text}, {"Count", Int64.Type}}),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2)),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"UPN", "PP", "Year"}, {{"Count", each List.Sum([Count]), type number}})
in
#"Grouped Rows"

The code is quiet simple and will be used to complete 8 pre prepared tables.  The #"Filtered Rows" is changed for each table by the addition of another or [Block] = x.

This is fine but when I refresh after Block 1 data has been imported into the Raw Data table all the pre prepared tables populate with the Block 1 data because of the filtered row statement even though data for Blocks 2 to 8 is not available.  This messes up an analysis table which should be empty until the relevant data for the later Blocks is entered.  I need some way of stopping the tables from populating until relevant Blocks data is made available.

Basically you have

Raw Data Table -> Cumulative Total Table (Totals the UPN Value for each Block) -> Block Tables (Cumulative up to each Block i.e Table 1 data up to Block 1, Table 2 data for Block 1 and Block 2 etc

I need to stop Table 2 populating until there is some Block 2 data in the Cumulative Total Table

I am sure it is a lot simpler than I have made it sound and would appreciate any help you could offer

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have come up with this.  It seesm to work but doesn't auto refresh.  

Any ideas of a better way to do this?

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"UPN", type text}, {"Block", Int64.Type}, {"PP", type text}, {"Year", type text}, {"Count", Int64.Type}}),
#"Removed Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Changed Type", each ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2 or [Block] = 3 or [Block] = 4 or [Block] = 5)),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Rows", each ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2 or [Block] = 3 or [Block] = 4 or [Block] = 5 or [Block] = 6)),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Filtered Rows", {"UPN", "PP", "Year"}, {{"Count", each List.Sum([Count]), type number}})

in
#"Grouped Rows"

Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the prompt reply but I am new to this and do not understand the whole process you are suggesting.

The Raw Data table looks like this

UPN        Block

12345         1

12345         1

54321         1

12345         2

23456         2

etc

The first table would look like this

UPN         Block          Count

12345         1                  2

12345         2                  1

54321         1                  1

23456         2                  1

etc

Table after Block 1 would look like this

UPN          Count

12345          2

54321          1

Table after Block 2 would look like this

UPN          Count

12345          3

54321          1

23456          1

Table after Block 3 should be empty but, at present pulss through the contents of table 2.  I need a way of stopping the data from appearing in Block 3 if there is no Block 3 data in the Raw Data table.

I have tried something like this

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each if ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2) then ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2)  else xxxxxx),

It is what to put at xxxxx that will stop the data from displaying that is the problem.

PS I am using Power Query in Excel not Power BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have come up with this.  It seesm to work but doesn't auto refresh.  

Any ideas of a better way to do this?

let
#"Removed Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Changed Type", each ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2 or [Block] = 3 or [Block] = 4 or [Block] = 5)),
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Rows", each ([Block] = 1 or [Block] = 2 or [Block] = 3 or [Block] = 4 or [Block] = 5 or [Block] = 6)),

in
#"Grouped Rows"

Thanks

v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your scenario, Query Parameters should help you. Then you can update your code like this

[Block] = [Parameter]

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.