Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using FRED Data

Hi,

FRED (Federal Reserve Econcomic Data) is a great website that offers all kinds of economic series data free to the public, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good connector to import these data series into BI.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

API can be tough. Basically, it's like getting from a web source. Check out these instructions: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charles_sterling/2016/05/25/how-to-call-rest-apis-and-parse-json-wi...

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
powerbime
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the misunderstanding I sent you the screen that you had in your reply when I sent this screen which is mine you will see not the same fields you have.

Capture4.PNG

cfh
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @powerbime. I realized that when I checked your screenshot to confirm your code, you were actually showing my screenshot with my code. Two of your screen shots do show an error in your code:

Annotation 2020-06-23 104833.png

https://api.stlouisfed.org/fred/series/observations?series_id=GNPCA&api_key=YOURAPIHERE

You need to add /observations where the red caret and text indicates, between the first word series and the question mark. 

I hope you enjoy many happy uses of the FRED data. 😃

powerbime
Frequent Visitor

Thats it!!!!

Thank You so much for your help and patience 

cfh
Frequent Visitor

You're very welcome @powerbime . Glad to pass along some of what I've learned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you guys know how to get multiple observations in the same table?

cfh
Frequent Visitor

The instructions I gave to powerbime above will give multiple observations in the same table. Do you mean observations from multiple series? You can add a dates table to your BI and merge on dates to get multiple data series in the same BI table.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try that, I was trying to get multiple observations from different series without having to write a python script for it but I will try merging the different data. Thanks! 

cfh
Frequent Visitor

You can definitely pull them in separately whether with Python or the web connector and use PowerBI to combine if that's necessary. I tend to keep them in their own tables and combine in visuals. 

API can be tough. Basically, it's like getting from a web source. Check out these instructions: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/charles_sterling/2016/05/25/how-to-call-rest-apis-and-parse-json-wi...

Link doesn't work

this url is broken

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.