Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marisap
Regular Visitor

Using FIND function

Hi I would like to use the MID & FIND Functions the same way as I would in Excel. However any time I use FIND I get errors. Can anyone suggest how I should go about doing this? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marisap,

In your scenario, I would suggest you check the syntax of the FIND( ) function and MID( ) function in DAX firstly.  

Also there is a sample for your reference. I have created calculated columns and specify expressions with FIND( ) and MID( ) functions like below:

FIND expression = FIND("Designer",'Table1'[Title],,BLANK())

Mid expression = MID('Table1'[Phone],5,8)

z1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @marisap,

In your scenario, I would suggest you check the syntax of the FIND( ) function and MID( ) function in DAX firstly.  

Also there is a sample for your reference. I have created calculated columns and specify expressions with FIND( ) and MID( ) functions like below:

FIND expression = FIND("Designer",'Table1'[Title],,BLANK())

Mid expression = MID('Table1'[Phone],5,8)

z1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm using exactly that in PowerBI Desktop, in a PBIX file and getting: Expression.Error: The name 'FIND' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jccote2536 wrote:

I'm using exactly that in PowerBI Desktop, in a PBIX file and getting: Expression.Error: The name 'FIND' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly.

you can look at it here

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57713963/find-position-of-a-character-in-a-string-function-in-m-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.