Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Elasticsearch for full text search

I'm building a product in PowerBI, and want to implement full text search across a set of documents stored in elasticsearch. I'm interested in using this connector to do this in PowerBI: link

It's unclear to me if this connector allows me to send search queries to elasticsearch, or if it just allows us to import the table into PowerBI. Can someone clarify this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That would not be straight forward, but it might be possible in two ways - 

1. If you have a REST API to send your search terms, you can do that through the query editor with http POST requests

2. You may be able to do it with R or Python, either through the query editor or dynamically through and R/Python visual (which would respond to slicers, etc.).

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Think video walks through using a REST API.

Power BI - Tales From The Front - REST APIs - YouTube

What type of searches are you doing with ElasticSearch?  Does your company already have a license/data there?  Or are you analyzing data already in Power BI?  If the latter, are you aware of the text analytics capability native in Power BI service now?

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That would not be straight forward, but it might be possible in two ways - 

1. If you have a REST API to send your search terms, you can do that through the query editor with http POST requests

2. You may be able to do it with R or Python, either through the query editor or dynamically through and R/Python visual (which would respond to slicers, etc.).

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I also need to get all the data from my ES request, and not onyl the 10.000 first rows, without paying an ODBC driver licence.
Can you tell me more about the REST API @mahoneypat please ?

BR Sam.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.