Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using DirectQuery to access a file in a network drive

Hi,

I am trying to use DirectQuery to connect to Excel files that are saved onto a network drive. We have been just importing this data into PBI using the Excel option but we are trying to automatically refresh our reports while avoiding Gateways to setup auto-refreshes of the data and wanted to test using DirectQuery. Which option under "Get Data" should I be using to be able to directly link to the sheets.

Here's an example of my file path:

\\aaa.companyname.com\home\ops\pltraining\matt's folder\section meetings\plant A\plant A utilization.xlsx

and I have files in several other folder locations branching from the Section Meetings folder if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

We can use the web Connector (Web.Contens function) to get the online excel and then we can convert it into a excel file. In most cases,  using Web Connector in Import mode can configure scheduled refresh without using gateway. But we cannot using Direct Query with Web Connector based on this document.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't believe Direct Query will work for this.  Direct Query is intended for connections to databases, will pass a query into the database as users manipulate visualizations.  You're going to want to use Import.

See this link.  Quote: "DirectQuery is only feasible when the underlying data source can provide interactive queries (less than 5 seconds) for the typical aggregate query, and is able to handle the query load that will be generated."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.