Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Using Direct Connect to SSAS Tabular DB via VPN, and the connection is lost, Power BI hangs

I'm using a direct connection to SSAS Tabular database, but right now outside my office, so must rely on VPN. With the model open and connected, if the VPN goes down, then Power BI starts throwing errors about losing the connection. And I cancel the error because I want to have control over the file to save it and close it. But as soon as I cancel that error, another pops up, cancel, reappear, lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.

Like 50 or 100 times. 

In the end I killed it with Task Manager.

But question to Microsoft is this: WHY does that error keep coming back? Is there ever and end to it? Is it generated for every visual in my report, or every data element? What's going on?

More importantly, can this behavior be fixed so that there is ONE error that gets cancelled. If you can't renter a chart because you can't connect, fine, but GIVE ME BACK CONTROL OF THE PROGRAM SO I CAN SAVE AND CLOSE IT.

Don't keep throwing errors at me!

Oh, and even after re-establishing the VPN, it still threw errors. As mentioned before, only Task Manager could kill the beast.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ToddChitt ,

Your VPN account must have permission to access SSAS. 

You may refer to the links:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connecting-PBID-to-SSAS-Tabular-when-not-in-domain/td-p/142... ,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connect-to-Analysis-Services-with-live-connection-from-non/... ,

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-t-connect-to-SQL-Server-2016-SSAS-Tabular-Model-on-loca... .

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai 

Not sure you understand. I know exactly WHAT is going on, and WHY I am getting the errors. It is because a Direct Connection to the SSAS Tabular database cannot be made when the VPN connection goes down. 

The quesiton (more of a frustration) is this: Why am I getting MULTIPLE errors ad-infinitum? No sooner do I adknowledge the first than another pops up to tell me the same thing. 

I want to be able to clear the error message, and close and save the Power BI report. But I can't because the error blocks my attempt to close the program, and as soon as I clear that error, another pops up. It's an endless cycle.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.