Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Boycie92
Resolver I
Resolver I

Using Date Tables

Hi,

I’m wondering if someone can help.

I have created a date table but the problem is I have other tables and each of them have different date columns (for different functions).

How do I connect it to my model and how can I ensure that all of the date columns can reference it?

Thanks,

Boycie92

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Boycie92,

As I tested, the USERELATIONSHIP function work correctly in Direct Query mode as follows.

1.PNG

>>If I wanted to use the QuaterYear column I have in my DateTable instead of date column I have in one of the other tables (for a chart or calculation) that has an inactive relationship how would I achieve this?

As what @jthomson said, you need to use USERELATIONSHIP in your measures to active the inactive relationship. Prerequisite, at least one of the column has unique value so that they can be used to create relationship.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You can connect tables through more than one column the same way you'd have just a single relationship, you just need to pick one to be the active relationship (normally the most important or one you use most often), and the others are inactive and you need to use USERELATIONSHIP in your measures etc where applicable

HI @jthomson

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just a couple of further questions to clarify

Can the USERELATIONSHIP function work with Direct Query?

If I wanted to use the QuaterYear column I have in my DateTable instead of date column I have in one of the other tables (for a chart or calculation) that has an inactive relationship how would I achieve this?

Thanks,

Boycie92

Hi @Boycie92,

As I tested, the USERELATIONSHIP function work correctly in Direct Query mode as follows.

1.PNG

>>If I wanted to use the QuaterYear column I have in my DateTable instead of date column I have in one of the other tables (for a chart or calculation) that has an inactive relationship how would I achieve this?

As what @jthomson said, you need to use USERELATIONSHIP in your measures to active the inactive relationship. Prerequisite, at least one of the column has unique value so that they can be used to create relationship.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

So the only way to use a column within my date table that has an inactive relationship is to create a measure?

I can’t just place the column in a visual and use a measure I have already created? What if I wanted to use a DateTable column as a Filter? Would all of my surrounding visuals need to work based on a USERELATIONSHIP measure?

Thanks,

Boycie92

I don't use Direct Query so don't know how this would work in your case

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.