Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

learning_dax
Helper II
Helper II

Using Date Table Filtering by different relationships as slicer

Hi all, 

I've created a DimDate table based on many different calculated columns. I have custom Fiscal Year & Fiscal Quarter columns to parse out the reporting based on Fiscal Calendar rather than Calendar year. Below are my relationships in my model. Right now, I use my date table slicers by Fiscal Quarter and Fiscal Year to filter my entire dashboard by ShipDate, since that is my active relationship. However, I don't know how to filter my dashboard by different date parameters based on inactive relationships using the same slicers by Fiscal Year/Fiscal Quarter. For example, in my picture below I'd like to use similar slicers perhaps on a different page but based on Return Date instead of Ship Date. I know how to create a measure and show ShipDate info in a table based on Fiscal Quarters by using USERELATIONSHIP but I need these inactive relationships to filter as slicers, and I'm not sure how to do that. Any help on how to overcome this? 

learning_dax_0-1670562352322.png

image0.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @learning_dax ,

the challenge you are facing has a name - this is good 🙂 The name is roleplaying dimensions.
Your requirement can not be solved by using a single date table and inactive relationships, instead, you need multiple date tables (populating multiple slicers) . An introduction to this concept is given by this article: Welcome to Power BI theatre: Role-Playing Dimensions! - Data Mozart (data-mozart.com).

Hopfully, this gets you started.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @learning_dax ,

the challenge you are facing has a name - this is good 🙂 The name is roleplaying dimensions.
Your requirement can not be solved by using a single date table and inactive relationships, instead, you need multiple date tables (populating multiple slicers) . An introduction to this concept is given by this article: Welcome to Power BI theatre: Role-Playing Dimensions! - Data Mozart (data-mozart.com).

Hopfully, this gets you started.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick response! Great to know that this is a popular challenge & that there is ample information to find online! Thanks for the article, and I'll start researching on the topic. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.