Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

xbrenes
Frequent Visitor

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries

Is there anyway to make a filled map using the forward sortation area (FSA) aka geographical region indicated by the  first three characters of the postal code?

When I add the FSA values and tag them as postal code I can only get pinpoint locations. When I add them to the filled map it only does a count of the FSA or forces a measure, so that doesn't work either. 

Is there any way to make a filled map that shows area boundaries without having to run a measure? I'm hoping to create some this like the picture below but will power bi filled map 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

I would suggest "ArcGIS map" for your scenario after trying other two maps. 

1. Open "Options" in Desktop or "Settings" in Service, check "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI";

2. Open visualization "ArcGIS map for Power BI (preview)", add FSA codes to location.

3. Click the ellipsis, select "Edit";

4. Change the settings as the second picture showed.

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries .jpg

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries 2.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

I would suggest "ArcGIS map" for your scenario after trying other two maps. 

1. Open "Options" in Desktop or "Settings" in Service, check "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI";

2. Open visualization "ArcGIS map for Power BI (preview)", add FSA codes to location.

3. Click the ellipsis, select "Edit";

4. Change the settings as the second picture showed.

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries .jpg

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries 2.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

Thank you so much I will give this a try!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.