Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xbrenes
Frequent Visitor

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries

Is there anyway to make a filled map using the forward sortation area (FSA) aka geographical region indicated by the  first three characters of the postal code?

When I add the FSA values and tag them as postal code I can only get pinpoint locations. When I add them to the filled map it only does a count of the FSA or forces a measure, so that doesn't work either. 

Is there any way to make a filled map that shows area boundaries without having to run a measure? I'm hoping to create some this like the picture below but will power bi filled map 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

I would suggest "ArcGIS map" for your scenario after trying other two maps. 

1. Open "Options" in Desktop or "Settings" in Service, check "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI";

2. Open visualization "ArcGIS map for Power BI (preview)", add FSA codes to location.

3. Click the ellipsis, select "Edit";

4. Change the settings as the second picture showed.

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries .jpg

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries 2.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @xbrenes,

I would suggest "ArcGIS map" for your scenario after trying other two maps. 

1. Open "Options" in Desktop or "Settings" in Service, check "Use ArcGIS maps for Power BI";

2. Open visualization "ArcGIS map for Power BI (preview)", add FSA codes to location.

3. Click the ellipsis, select "Edit";

4. Change the settings as the second picture showed.

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries .jpg

Using Canadian postal code (FSA) to make a filled map to show area boundaries 2.jpg 

Best Regards!

Dale

Thank you so much I will give this a try!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.