Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ahulsey
Regular Visitor

Using Bi-temporal data to filter a report to an "As Of Date"

I have a use case that I have solved before in other BI tools, but I cannot find the way to accomplish it in Power BI.

I have attached sample data with questions, but here's a quick overview:

In my data I have four date columns that work together to describe when a record became valid or expired, and when changes were made.

The user needs to see the data "as of" a date they select. For example, if my report currently indicates how many employees I have in the Seattle office, but I want to know how many I had at the end of last year, I would select 12/31/2018 and the report would use that date to filter to only the records that were valid at that time.

I tried to attach an Excel with more explanation, along with a few rows of sample data that should help demonstrate the functionality I am trying to create, however, apparently we cannot attach documents here, so I am including a screenshot:

bitemporal mockup.PNG

Any thoughts on how best to approach this in Power BI?

Thank you,

Andy

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @ahulsey

Your dataset is a little mixed up, Is the actual data structure like this?

For example:

Pat has two rows data, but there is no other attribute column to distinguish or filter them.

And If you may try to unpivot the four date column and create a relationship with date table.

Here are some documents for your reference

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unpivot-columns-power-query-0f7bad4b-9ea1-49c1-9d95-f588221...

http://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

Click Home->Edit Queries into Power Query. and you will see the steps.

If it is not your case, please share sample pbix file or some data sample and expected output. You can upload it to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for taking a look. 

This is not exactly how the real data looks, however it is a mock-up where in I can take exactly this data and demonstrate the functionality I want in Tableau.

The two rows for Pat are not identical. The date columns describe which row is valid.

I will see if I can upload the file and link to it here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.