Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

newgirl
Helper V
Helper V

Using Appended Query from Another File

I have a Project 1, I used 3 queries that I filtered and cleaned and appended in 1 query, which makes it my main data table for that file.

I have another project, Project 2, which is a report that houses a lot of main data tables. One of those is the main data table from my project 1. Is it possible to just have my Project 2 file import the main data table query (that's already been filtered and cleaned and appended) ?

If not, what are my options?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @newgirl 

According to your description, do you mean that you want to change the data source of the main data table query of your Project 1?

To replace the original data source with a new one, there are two ways in the Power BI desktop:

1. Go to Transform data-> data source setting, change the source of data:

v-robertq-msft_0-1618369514784.png

1. Go to the power query editor, advanced editor, replace the file path to change the data source manually:

v-robertq-msft_1-1618369514795.png

What’s more, if you want to query all the tables in your Project 2, I think you can just use the “Connect to Power BI dataset” to connect to the underlined dataset of Project 2, you can follow this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @newgirl 

According to your description, do you mean that you want to change the data source of the main data table query of your Project 1?

To replace the original data source with a new one, there are two ways in the Power BI desktop:

1. Go to Transform data-> data source setting, change the source of data:

v-robertq-msft_0-1618369514784.png

1. Go to the power query editor, advanced editor, replace the file path to change the data source manually:

v-robertq-msft_1-1618369514795.png

What’s more, if you want to query all the tables in your Project 2, I think you can just use the “Connect to Power BI dataset” to connect to the underlined dataset of Project 2, you can follow this document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

FrankPreusker
Advocate III
Advocate III

The scenario you're describing is a typical use case for Power BI Dataflows (=Power Query in the web): Here you define, merge, clean-up your main data table and then reference this dataflow table in many different PBI models.

Introduction to dataflows and self-service data prep - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@newgirl , not very clear, You have anti join option to merge data

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.