Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nikki
Helper II
Helper II

Users can only see their data via row level security

Hi

We are using Project Online. Each project manager is an AD user. So therefore we have the AD name of each project manager for each project. i have created a project status report. i want the project manager when they click project status report to only see their own projects in the drop down page filter in power bi browser.

is this possible? we also have created the reports using direct query just an fyi.

i have got everythig working nicely but there are like 400 projects - so as you can imagine this is a lot for project managers to scroll through to find their own projects. also there are some sensitive projects that we need filtered out.

all thoughts advice welcomed 🙂
Nikki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Azure you might be in luck.  Here is another Post i saw that was talking about this:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Row-Level-Security-in-SQL-Azure-Direct-Q...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly Direct Query doesn't seem to be compatable with Row Level Security (RLS).  By the way you have described it, RLS would be the way to go.  How married to the Direct Query method are you?

Thanks for your response. Well we direct query of a SQLAzure database - so we may be able to do something there even I guess.

We have to use direct query to mash together datasources - we tried to do this in power bi desktop in the files themselves and whilst this works it is slow, and also this doesnt give our customers a reporting drag-drop solution that they can work with. the solution then becomes something that a developer needs to support for them 😞

thanks

Nikki

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Azure you might be in luck.  Here is another Post i saw that was talking about this:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Row-Level-Security-in-SQL-Azure-Direct-Q...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.