Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

User.zip is being used by another process

Hi all,

I am having a problem refreshing one of my reports.

The refreshing process stops half way through and the following error is displayed:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\xxxx\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\temp.User.zip' because it is being used by another process.
File 'User.zip' snapshot:
    FullName: 'C:\Users\xxxx\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\User.zip'
    IsReadonly: False
    IsHidden: False
File 'temp.User.zip' snapshot:
    FullName: 'C:\Users\xxxx\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\temp.User.zip'
    IsReadonly: False
    IsHidden: False

I've deleted and reinstalled powerBi desktop, I've rebooted the computer, I've ensured the user.zip file properties are OK. I've checked the process explorer and can't find any processes using the same file.

It all started when I changed my password (I am running a corporate machine and I am forced to do so), however, I had changed my password before with no problems. Furthermore, when I initially changed my password this error was intermittent, so I was able to refresh after a couple of attempts. However, I've been unable to do so for 5 days. This problem only occurs when one of the connectors is a Sharepoint list, but all credentials have been verified and valid.

I am running the machine with admin priviliges and antivirus and malware detection software have not changed for months.

The stack trace is massive (over 6000 words), hence why I am not posting it here.

Any ideas? I am running out of options!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anybody that is facing a similar challenge, I managed to get it solved by downloading power BI in a different folder, the path leading to where Power BI used to be was clashing with other processess and that caused the error, easy fix!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anybody that is facing a similar challenge, I managed to get it solved by downloading power BI in a different folder, the path leading to where Power BI used to be was clashing with other processess and that caused the error, easy fix!

Anonymous
Not applicable

An update on this one.

I have reinstalled the gateway (personal mode) and that has allowed me to successfully refresh the dataset from service. However, it is still not working in desktop.

I've downloaded the working pbix from service and run it through desktop and the same user.zip problem occurs.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated, as I am would like to use desktop if possible.

Cheers

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

According to your description, it sounds like you changes credentials then system recognize cache file has been managed by other accounts. Have you test to remove old temp file and try again?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-shex-msft,

Unfortunately yes, I've deleted all cache and temp files and the problem is still occurring.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Adria

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know if that will help, but when running a different report that feeds from the same dataset the problem does not occur.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.