Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Arranafc19
Helper IV
Helper IV

User to Pass Parameter To Filter Report

Hi 

Was wondering if anyone could assist me with an issue I am having.

I have been looking into parameters on power bi datasets and am trying to find out if its possible to require the parameter value of the dataset to be passed from the reprot user upon opening the report.

The scenario I have is I need to roll out a report out to all users but need each user to only see data relating to them.

Row level security will not work for this as not all users have pro accounts.

Ideally what I would hope to have is the report once opens will ask the user to pass a username which will be used to filter the report dataset , similar to how parameters work in ssrs and power bi paginated reports.

Is this possible ?

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi  @Arranafc19 ,

To my knowledge this is not possible when you use parameters to filter out the dataset users need to have acces to the data in order to run the query, if your users are only visualizing your reports they are not abble to run the query behind and getting the information as you need.

As you describe in your scenario since you need users only to see their data the option would be RLS.

However since this is not an option what you can do is to create a password within the PBI file for each user and link that to the information they need.

This idea comes from the post below and may need adjustments from your part but check the post where I had this workaround idea.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/adding-password-box-power-bi-report-wyn-hopkins/

If you need any assistance to get this working please send out some mockupdata.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.