Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stuf1968
Frequent Visitor

User table instead of multiple IF for cohort second table.

First, as with many others here - I'm relatively new to PBI and DAX, and my books haven't arrived from Indigo/Chapters yet.  Smiley Happy

I have created a data table (tAgeCohort) for min/max of age range for age cohort

ID   MinAge    MaxAge   AgeRange

1      20             29              20-29

2      30             39              30-39

5      70            79               70-79

6      80            125               80+

I have another table that contains member information  z_TTL_Mbr  (contains 150k rows)

MemberID         Age

10000                 28

12434                 65

88833                 48

Instead of using a calculated column with multiple IF statements. I'd like to know how to build a Measure or DAX to look up the z_TTL_Mbr[Age] and assign the appropriate AgeRange from tAgeCohort.

Thank you for your assistance in this 'newbie' question.

Smiley Very Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @stuf1968,

You need to have a consecutive age number in your tAgeCohort, and set age range for this age. Then you can get age range in z_TTL_Mbr table by using age value.

Create a table with a column ID have values from 1 to 125. Then create three calculated columns.
AgeRange = if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=29,tAgeCohort[ID]>=20),"20-29",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=39,tAgeCohort[ID]>=30),"30-39",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=49,tAgeCohort[ID]>=40),"40-49",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=59,tAgeCohort[ID]>=50),"50-59",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=69,tAgeCohort[ID]>=60),"60-69",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=79,tAgeCohort[ID]>=70),"70-79",if(tAgeCohort[ID]>=80,"80+","UNK")))))))
Min = CALCULATE(MIN(tAgeCohort[ID]),ALLEXCEPT(tAgeCohort,tAgeCohort[AgeRange]))
Max = CALCULATE(MAX(tAgeCohort[ID]),ALLEXCEPT(tAgeCohort,tAgeCohort[AgeRange]))

Capture.PNG

Then create a caluclated column in z_TTL_Mbr table.
Age Group = LOOKUPVALUE(tAgeCohort[AgeRange],tAgeCohort[ID],z_TTL_Mbr[Age])
Capture1.PNG

Then you can use this column in your slicer or visual.
Capture2.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MalS
Resolver III
Resolver III

Have you considered using a Group instead?

In the member information table, click on the Age field, then on the ribbon click Modelling > New Group. Set Group Type to List, and then create your cohort groups that way. This will create a new field that can be used in visualizations, filters, etc.

stuf1968
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @MalS, I have considered that method and have used it before.  I'm hoping that someone can instruct me on how to solve this request using DAX or by a measure... I have other elements that need similar resolution. I picked this example as it's the easiest to explain.

Suggestions?

If you want to use the custom age groups to slice or group the data in your visuals, you will need to either create a calculated column in your table z_TTL_Mbr to hold the age groups. Or create a relationship between that table and your table that holds the age groups.

If you go with the relationship you need to structure the table so that every age gets a separate row in order for the relationship to be created.

Age    AgeRange

20       20-29

21       20-29

22       20-29

80       80+

etc...

Br,
Magnus

Perhaps I can state this differently.  🙂

I have 2 tables:  tAgeCohort (w/ ID, min, max, and range)1.PNG

z_TTL_Mbr[Age] (w/ details of the individual member, unique IDs, and of course age)

I have created a calculated column in z_TTL_Mbr with multiple nested IFs in order to manually create the range that member falls into.

Age Group = if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=29,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=20),"20-29",if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=39,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=30),"30-39",if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=49,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=40),"40-49",if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=59,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=50),"50-59",if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=69,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=60),"60-69",if(and(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]<=79,z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=70),"70-79",if(z_TTL_Mbr[Age]>=80,"80+","UNK")))))))

I could use the group ability - but as the data for z_TTL_Mbr is dynamic, if the age isn't already in the list at the time I create the group I would have to continually go back into the table to make changes to the group listing.  Can't use the automatic group bin feature because the min/max ages are fixed across all organization reports.

So I really am looking for a way to have tAgeCohort[AgeRange] resolve for z_TTL_Mbr[Age] so I can use it for slicer and visuals.

Thanks.

Hi @stuf1968,

You need to have a consecutive age number in your tAgeCohort, and set age range for this age. Then you can get age range in z_TTL_Mbr table by using age value.

Create a table with a column ID have values from 1 to 125. Then create three calculated columns.
AgeRange = if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=29,tAgeCohort[ID]>=20),"20-29",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=39,tAgeCohort[ID]>=30),"30-39",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=49,tAgeCohort[ID]>=40),"40-49",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=59,tAgeCohort[ID]>=50),"50-59",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=69,tAgeCohort[ID]>=60),"60-69",if(and(tAgeCohort[ID]<=79,tAgeCohort[ID]>=70),"70-79",if(tAgeCohort[ID]>=80,"80+","UNK")))))))
Min = CALCULATE(MIN(tAgeCohort[ID]),ALLEXCEPT(tAgeCohort,tAgeCohort[AgeRange]))
Max = CALCULATE(MAX(tAgeCohort[ID]),ALLEXCEPT(tAgeCohort,tAgeCohort[AgeRange]))

Capture.PNG

Then create a caluclated column in z_TTL_Mbr table.
Age Group = LOOKUPVALUE(tAgeCohort[AgeRange],tAgeCohort[ID],z_TTL_Mbr[Age])
Capture1.PNG

Then you can use this column in your slicer or visual.
Capture2.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thank you @v-caliao-msft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.