Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

User role considering different workspaces.

Hello,

I am trying to understand the following sentence from the link below:

"If an individual is in several user groups, they get the highest level of permission provided by the roles they are assigned."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-new-workspaces#roles-in-the-new-workspaces

Does this mean that regargless of a role, a user has in a workspace, the same user can have higher role depending on who one is in other workspaces? If it so, is there a way of seeing the highest role such user is assigned?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, if a user was granted a Member role in old workspaces, will one have at least a Member role in new workspaces, despite the fact that the one was granted a Viewer role?

Hi @Anonymous ,

The roles in one workspace won't relates to the role in another workspace. the authority won't interconnected between workspaces.  the sentence means if you are in the several user groups, such as security groups, Office 365 groups, and distribution lists. but security groups was set as viewer in the new workspace, (you must know new workspace can assign the role to whole group not only individual)

Office 365 groups set as contributor, distribution lists set as member, then you'll get the highest permission of member. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way of finding out what the highest role that will be assigned to a user? As sometimes it is quite difficult to know all the groups the one belongs to. Therefore, there is a chance that undeliberately this person can get a higher access rights. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I don't think there's quick way to get this, but the possible method is you can find the group lists that the user belongs to in admin portal(The precondition is you are the global admin), provided that you've got the group lists, then you can find the permission for each group in workspace access, thus the highest role come out.

If my above post helps, could you please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. thanks!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunatelly, I am not a global admin. Therefore, the suggested solution would not work for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.