Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lubovMS
Employee
Employee

User Input for a Live Connection

I was wondering if there is any way I could get user input for a live connection. I have seen the what if parameter option but that is not available as I have a live connection to a cube. Does anyone know of a workaround this?

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @lubovMS 

It is unsupported to use What-if parameters in live connection mode. I wonder if you want to filter the result based on user input or write back user input data to the datasource. If you want to filter the result , you may try slicers from marketplace. If you want to write back data, you may try what is suggested by @nandukrishnavs .

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

nandukrishnavs
Super User
Super User

@lubovMS 

I think you could try PowerApps visual for write-back.

Refer to this https://www.pass.org/Community/PASSBlog/tabid/1476/entryid/916/adding-powerapps-to-power-bi.aspx

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/powerapps-custom-visual

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Thanks @nandukrishnavs , 

I have tried power apps and explored this as a solution a bit when you mentioned it, but I am not sure it will work with how I need it to. I need the user to put in a numeric value and then pull that value into a measure. I have not seen that capability in PowerApps, for a measure to read the user input and them compute percent change based on that impute. I hope that clarifies the situation a bit.

Here is an example of my measure and where I want to place the user input value:

I have the following two measures:

DoD_Change=
var prevDay = CALCULATE([Count], DATEADD('DimDate'[date], -1,DAY))
var diff = [Count] - prevDay
return DIVIDE(diff,prevDay)

Anomaly = IF([DoD_Change] < -0.75, 1, IF([DoD_Change], 2, 0))

The -0.75 and the 0.75 need to be user inputs.

@lubovMS  You can use PowerApp custom visual to write back the user input to the SQL or some other source. 

For example, save that value in a static table. That table should contain single row always.

TableA

UserInput

You can bring this value to Power BI. Then you can use selectedvalue() and replace that value in your current logic.

Anomaly = IF([DoD_Change] < selectedvalue('TableA'[UserInput]), 1, IF([DoD_Change], 2, 0))

When you update the UserInput as -0.65 your Anomaly measure will update accordingly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate with a kudos
🙂

Regards,
Nandu Krishna

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.