Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ameerehs
Frequent Visitor

User Input Data to populate table of published report

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible in power bi to allow users to pick a date, type in a value and then populate a table with that date and value in a live published report? The purpose of this is that each week based on production demands our plant peak energy demand changes. I want users to be able to enter an estimated value for that specific saturday for example and then compare that estimate with the actual energy consumption. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @ameerehs,

It is possible. There are a few dependencies and a couple of issues to overcome. 

I'll run through what I've found and you can decide whether it is worth your time to investigate further.

What I did

1. Create a slicer from a list of values and set it to single select mode.
    (this would be the input value, I can't see any way to allow a typed value inside of Power BI, it could be done outside of, but that's a different story)
  2. Create a SharePoint list with 3 columns; User, DT, Value.
  3. Add PowerAutomate visual from AppSource.
  4. Configure PowerAutomate button, created new flow to write to the SharePoint list.
    KNP_0-1621497786712.png

5. Connect to SharePoint list in Power BI to import the data.

Caveats/Issues

• You need to be able to use the PowerAutomate visual from AppSource.
  • Be able to create a SharePoint list or update another data source.
  • Likely need to work around the data entry you're looking for and use values from another source e.g. drop down, single select slicer.
  • Refreshing is likely going to be your biggest issue as you'll need to be able to trigger the refresh of the data/report after the button has been clicked, which I managed to do by adding this...
    KNP_1-1621499373085.png

but I very quickly ran into the 'refresh in a 24 hour period limitation' of 8, you'd have 48 if you have premium.

Thoughts

• You could also potentially write back to SQL or a Power BI streaming dataset which may alleviate the refresh issues. 
  • (This one I thought of at the end of this testing)
    Does it need to be as complicated as I just made it 🤔, could you not just use the values the user selects as the comparison values in the report?

If you can share a copy of the report, or sample of it, it may be easier to offer a more definitive solution.

Hope you get some use out of this.

Regards,

Kim

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi @ameerehs,

It is possible. There are a few dependencies and a couple of issues to overcome. 

I'll run through what I've found and you can decide whether it is worth your time to investigate further.

What I did

1. Create a slicer from a list of values and set it to single select mode.
    (this would be the input value, I can't see any way to allow a typed value inside of Power BI, it could be done outside of, but that's a different story)
  2. Create a SharePoint list with 3 columns; User, DT, Value.
  3. Add PowerAutomate visual from AppSource.
  4. Configure PowerAutomate button, created new flow to write to the SharePoint list.
    KNP_0-1621497786712.png

5. Connect to SharePoint list in Power BI to import the data.

Caveats/Issues

• You need to be able to use the PowerAutomate visual from AppSource.
  • Be able to create a SharePoint list or update another data source.
  • Likely need to work around the data entry you're looking for and use values from another source e.g. drop down, single select slicer.
  • Refreshing is likely going to be your biggest issue as you'll need to be able to trigger the refresh of the data/report after the button has been clicked, which I managed to do by adding this...
    KNP_1-1621499373085.png

but I very quickly ran into the 'refresh in a 24 hour period limitation' of 8, you'd have 48 if you have premium.

Thoughts

• You could also potentially write back to SQL or a Power BI streaming dataset which may alleviate the refresh issues. 
  • (This one I thought of at the end of this testing)
    Does it need to be as complicated as I just made it 🤔, could you not just use the values the user selects as the comparison values in the report?

If you can share a copy of the report, or sample of it, it may be easier to offer a more definitive solution.

Hope you get some use out of this.

Regards,

Kim

Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
KIfp67uy-Sr

Hello.
I hope this message finds you well.
I was trying to find a solution similar to the one in this post and I found your solution very very interesting. I was wondering if you have tried it out and if it was a successful one. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or help in this matter.

Thank you in advance!

Hi @Dimitris_Kats,

The process I outlined works. It depends on whether any of the issues I mentioned are a problem.

If you create a new post and tag me in it I can take a look. I have limited time available so if you keep the questions specific I'll do my best to help.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

@KNP  thank you very much for replying to me.

I have a quick question. My dataset is connected to a SQL server but it's not possible to have a gateway for the refresh of the dataset . I am refreshing the dataset manually.

Is this going to cause trouble with the power automate??If yes, Is a way to work around ??

Is there any other way to enable open text comments without using Power apps??

Thank you very much in advance 

🙏🙏🙏

Without a gateway, I don't see a way to get the refresh portion of the flow to work.

Probably need more specifics to assist.

Best to do it in a new thread.

chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

KIfp67uy-Sr

Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated 🙏

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ameerehs 

I am pretty sure it is not possible to input data to populate a table in Power BI. You may only create the table in the report first, and create slicers for date column, type column or others columns. Then you can just filter with existing options in the slicer rather than Inputting.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ameerehs , You can use whatif parameter

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-what-if

You have republish the file. or use ALM toolkit for partial publish

@amitchandak thanks for the reply, however im not sure if the what if parameter will help me out in this situation. How will the whatif parameter be able to populate a table and have that input for a specific day. Not sure if Im explaining what I'm looking to do correctly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.