Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

User Defined Aggregations - Possible With Semi-Additive Measures?

If I have a fact asset bank account type fact table, with semi-additive measure needs (I.E. End User may want to sum current balance amount over customers, but not over time), is there a work around or way to leverage User Defined Aggregations with Semi-Additive measures or are we limited to basic aggs listed below? All documentation I am coming across just shows basic examples of SUM. 

source: https://dax.tips/2021/09/06/intro-to-power-bi-aggregations/

Kevthebandit_0-1649938581721.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for idea. I think it sparked a work around for me and to think through and do some more testing on my end. 

I have my Directquery connection to a fact table with ~ 500 Mil rows. then I have an imported summary same fact table at the following grain ( Date | City | Value)

In the data model view, I can elipsis select the Agg table to 'Manage Aggregations', and set my Aggregation Column of [Value] to SUM on the Directquery detail table same column. 

Even though I am striving to use a semi-additive measure, I could just leverage the feature of user defined aggs with the Aggregation at the basic SUM and be purposeful about the semi-additive part by only creating vizualizations with the appropriate grain and columns displayed on X Axis or not. 

It will work for a specific report use case, but I am not crazy about advanced knowledge tech debt and risk of another developer or user misunderstanding or mis-using column. I suppose I could hide it to help mitigate risk. 

Ah trade-off considerations...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Based on what I got

You can create measure like

AverageX(Values(Table[City]), calculate(Sum(Table[Value])))

AverageX(Summarize(Table, Table[City], Table[Month],"_1", calculate(Sum(Table[Value]))), [_1])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for idea. I think it sparked a work around for me and to think through and do some more testing on my end. 

I have my Directquery connection to a fact table with ~ 500 Mil rows. then I have an imported summary same fact table at the following grain ( Date | City | Value)

In the data model view, I can elipsis select the Agg table to 'Manage Aggregations', and set my Aggregation Column of [Value] to SUM on the Directquery detail table same column. 

Even though I am striving to use a semi-additive measure, I could just leverage the feature of user defined aggs with the Aggregation at the basic SUM and be purposeful about the semi-additive part by only creating vizualizations with the appropriate grain and columns displayed on X Axis or not. 

It will work for a specific report use case, but I am not crazy about advanced knowledge tech debt and risk of another developer or user misunderstanding or mis-using column. I suppose I could hide it to help mitigate risk. 

Ah trade-off considerations...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.