Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobMorris
Frequent Visitor

Use value in table1 to pull through value from custom field in table 2 (VLOOKUP in Excel equivalent?

I'm trying to learn PowerBI and some of the things I took for granted in Excel seem to be extremely problematic in PowerBI! 😞

I have two tables   UNITCOMP and LAMPS

UNITCOMP lists all of the streetlights in the Borough such as location, easting, northings, etc
LAMPS lists all the different lamp types eg 19W LED, Solar, 120W SON, 75W SOX
UNITCOMP and LAMPS are joined in a relationship based on a field called LAMPRATING

I have created a new calculated field in the LAMPS table called SUMMARY which ignores of the the W value and groups the light based on whether it is LED, SON, SOX, SOLAR etc.

What I want to do (and which was so easy in Excel but so difficult in PowerBI) is create a vlookup
In Excel it would be
=vlookup(UNITCOMP a1,LAMPS!C6:G22,2,FALSE)   *where the second row in lamps is the SUMMARY field

This would then return a value for every light showing what the summary value was for it.   I could then create a chart in the dashboard showing the lamp make-up in the Borough.

How the heck do you do this in PowerBI?!?

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sample data is very helpful. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

That being said, LOOKUPVALUE is a possible replacement for VLOOKUP as well as a CALCULATE with a RELATED or RELATEDTABLE function potentially.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.