Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jonasboye
Regular Visitor

Use specific exchange rate date in revenue calculation

Hi all,

I have a challenge that I hope I could get some help/support to point me in the right direction.

I have created a revenue report where the total revenue for the company is calculated in the company currency.I have a table containing exchange rate in a format similar to the one below (it contains multiple currencies).

FromCurrency

ToCurrency

StartDate

EndDate

Rate

EUR

DKK

01-01-2019

31-01-2019

EUR

DKK

01-02-2019

28-02-2019

EUR

DKK

01-03-2019

31-03-2019

EUR

DKK

01-04-2019

30-04-2019

And I have a separate table containing invoiced sales order lines. This includes detail of the currency the order was invoiced in and the invoice date.

I already have formula to identify the correct exchange rate for each invoice line based on the invoice date and this is working correctly.

ExchangeRate = IF(SalesInvoiceLines[CurrencyCode]="DKK";100;CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(ExchangeRates[Rate];ExchangeRates[Rate]);FILTER(ExchangeRates;ExchangeRates[StartDate].[Date]<=SalesInvoiceLines[InvoiceDate].[Date]&&ExchangeRates[EndDate].[Date]>=SalesInvoiceLines[InvoiceDate].[Date]&&ExchangeRates[FromCurrency]=SalesInvoiceLines[CurrencyCode]&&ExchangeRates[ToCurrency]="DKK")))

My challenge is that I have a request of being able to calculate the revenue per line based on a fixed exchange rate date rather than the invoice date, so that the same exchange rate is used on all invoice lines.

It should be possible to specify the specific exchange rate date directly in the report and it should then dynamically calculate the total revenue based on that specific exchange rate date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jonas

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jonasboye ,

For your scenario, I can't create a sample to implement it. Can you please post more sample data and the expected result? 

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

I have created a sample file. You should be able to download it using this link.

The table SalesInvoiceLine has a calculated column called ExchangeRate where I am fetching the exchange rate to DKK, but the formula is getting the exhange rate based on the invoice date. 

I would like to be able to specify the specific date that the exchange rate should be based on. 

Regards

Jonas

Hi @jonasboye ,

Can you please attach a new link? When I open it, I get the message below.

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xue,

Sorry about that. Can you try the link below. 

https://daxiomatic-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/jab_daxiomatic_dk/ER-T6GBHaEhFsGqzDO1cTw8BZFT-Sn... 

/Jonas

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Investigate the use of "What If" parameters.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.