Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tableauspoiled
Frequent Visitor

Use slicer from disconnected table to filter charts

Hi,
Scratching my head here.  Can't post actual data, so I've tried to simulate it.

tableauspoiled_1-1659719206119.png

I have a list of prospects ('Buyers'[Name]), each interested in one of my products ('Buyers'[Product]), "A", "B", or "C".

Each product is sold in multiple different colors.  When data is imported, each color option comes in on a different column as a true/false field.

Unfortunately (for me) a prospect may be interested in or buy multiple colors of the same product.

I have charts for both of these measures, all of which can be filtered by other fields via slicer, but need the option to filter them by color:

Leads (COUNT(Buyers[Name])

Deals = CALCULATE(COUNT(Buyers[Name]), Buyers[Purchased] = TRUE())

Because more than one color may be true at a time for each prospect, I can't just create one column on the original table to use in my slicer.  I am trying to build a slicer that filters off of a separate table with a list of those color names in a single column.  Selecting "Blue" would then include everything from the Buyer table, whether or not there was another color they were interested in.  And not selecting a color at all in the slicer would just return the overall results.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to work out a filter or if statement that makes this work.  There's nothing to connect the tables on.  I have managed to get a var that will return the color value selected in the slicer, but can't figure out how to pass that along to a measure in the original table.

Slicer test =
var Color =
    SELECTEDVALUE(Slicer[Color])

return
   color

Side note (because there's never an easy solution in my life, lol), if this is even doable, will I still be able to filter the charts using the other slicers from the original table at the same time?  

Can anyone help?  Please?

7 REPLIES 7
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor, you should select all columns other then the Color columns, right click and then select "Unpivot Other Columns".  Revise your measures to:

Leads = DISTINCTCOUNT(Buyers[Name])

Deals CALCULATE([Leads],Buyers[Purchased] = TRUE())

Does this work?

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi Ashish,

Thanks for your reply!  It does, perfectly! 🎉🎉 Unfortunately the volume of data in this report makes it less than ideal, as it swells an already absurdly bloated table (~100k rows after I've filtered everything possible out of it).  😞  I was hoping there was a way to query the rows without it, but I'm not sure that's possible.

I did create a work around of sorts, where instead of a traditional slicer with all the values from a column I created individual list slicers for each column (each with only one color as a checkbox), then formatted them as a list in a single box as though it was a multi-select slicer.  The problem is that there will soon be additional "color columns", and that will be almost as awkward as the alternative.

Hi,

You are welcome.  I am not aware of a better method to solve this question.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Create a measure to probe the slicer. Use that measure as a visual level filter.

Thank you for the reply.  Could you explain that a little more?  I'm not sure what you mean by out of context, but I am having trouble figuring out what that type of measure would look like.

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. I cannot help you without usable sample data.
Please paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services like OneDrive or Google Drive. I cannot use screenshots of your source data.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Hi lbendlin,

Buyers = {
("Bobby", "A", FALSE(), TRUE(), TRUE(),TRUE()),
("Suzy", "B", TRUE(), TRUE(), FALSE(), TRUE()),
("Fred", "B", FALSE(), FALSE(), TRUE(), FALSE()),
("John", "C", TRUE(), TRUE(), TRUE(), TRUE()),
("Liz", "A", TRUE(), FALSE(), TRUE(),TRUE()),
("Frank", "B", TRUE(), FALSE(), FALSE(), FALSE())}

The desired outcome is a single slicer like the "Colors" one below that filters the two charts.  But the colors in my goal come from separate columns instead of a single column like you would normally use.  I like the idea of measures that could query each column, but I can't figure out how to do it in a slicer format.
tableauspoiled_0-1660072543657.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.