Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use selection of slicer as filter for different column

Say I want to show the amount of 'seats' going in both directions between two cities AAA and BBB, in two Matrix visuals side by side.

In my data source I have two different rows I want to show:

AAA -> BBB with 600 seats

BBB -> AAA with 500 seats. 

With two slicers, I select Departure City "AAA" and Arrival City "BBB", and it displays on one matrix as 600 seats - correct.

How do I then get the other matrix to show Departure City "BBB" and Arrival City "AAA", with 500 seats???

Because they are in the same table I can't just create another set of slicers.

(Note this is highly simplified - there are around hundred million rows with ~2500 city pairs, hence I can't just display them in the same matrix)

I have tried using selectedvalues and creating measures etc but just can't seem to get there!

Please let me know if you need any more info!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
anandav
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

HI @Anonymous,

Further to the suggestion by @mmace1, if you group the slicers (View - Sync Slicer - Advance) then when you select a country from one slicer the same country will be selected in the other. Combined with @mmace1 suggestion this will allow you to select country only in one slicer and filter both matrix/table at once.

I tired and this works.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
anandav
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

HI @Anonymous,

Further to the suggestion by @mmace1, if you group the slicers (View - Sync Slicer - Advance) then when you select a country from one slicer the same country will be selected in the other. Combined with @mmace1 suggestion this will allow you to select country only in one slicer and filter both matrix/table at once.

I tired and this works.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anandav WOW that worked!!

Sorry that I didn't completly understand your explaination at first.

This is fantastic thank you so much

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anandav - How would that work?

There wouldn't be a record with AAA-AAA, so how would you get the slicer for 'from' to equal the slicer on 'to'?

Ie - if you select AAA in 'from', then there would never be an option for AAA in column 'to'?

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Capture.PNG

ooh what @anandav suggested was new to me, but I just tested as well and it works - so you'd have to have 4 slicers, but you'd only have to make 2 selections!

So I set my two 'month choice 1' slicers to be in the group AAA, and my two 'month choice 2' slicers to be in group BBB.  now whatever I set either of the 'month choice 1' slicers to, the other 'month choice 1' automatically updates to the same selection.  And vise versa for the 'month choice2' slicers. 

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You can set a filter/slicer to only apply to certain table(s) on your page. 

So you could have one slicer set that only influences Matrix A, and a second slicer set that only influences matrix B. 

So then:

Slicer Set 1:  Choose Departure AAA, Arrival BBB

Slicer Set 2: Choose Departure BBB, Arrival AAA

It's a bit of a pain that you'd have to use 4 slicers at that point, but it'd work.  You can choose which visuals a slicer interacts with, via Format > Edit Interactions. 

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mmace1,

Yup thats what I've done in the short term - was just wondering if it was possible to streamline any more!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.