Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Quantisport

Use same measure over different data sets

I have data set A and B, both have the same metrics (Profit) but are at different levels of granularity (Day/Hour).  I have created a new measure in set A for cumulative profit and I use it in a line chart.

I wanted to create another chart on a seperate page with the same metric on set B but I get an error saying the measure already exists.

Is there any way to link the source of a measure to a page or visualisation, I created a bunch of new measure for set A and they all apply to set B so it would be good to be able to use them.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @Quantisport 

I agree with @BA_Pete, The way I would impletement @BA_Pete 's idea is by using

pranit828_0-1598118317926.png

and 

pranit828_1-1598118338175.png

Once, you get familiar with the tabular editor, life becomes very easy with creating measures.

Install link - https://github.com/otykier/TabularEditor/releases/tag/2.11.7

Its way simpler and very fast copying and pasting same measure over different datasets.

It also comes with lot of other feature with you will find Here 

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Quantisport ,

This isn't something that would normally be done. As you say yourself, the two datasets essentially show different things so you would generally need to create new measures for your second dataset. You could theoretically do it with some significant DAX gymnastics, but it would be quicker to just create the new measures.

I'd say there's two simple options:

1) Copy and paste the calculation text of each of your original measures into new ones, but just change the table/column names to your second data source.

2) If your two datasets indeed show exactly the same data just at different granularities, then run the whole report from the lowest (i.e. hourly) granularity data then just roll it up into days/weeks/months etc. as required.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.