Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stefani_vileva
Resolver II
Resolver II

Use relationship as measure not working

Hello everyone,

I am struggling with the userelationship function which is not working as I have planed.

My model is looking like this:

- Products table - which contains all of the details of the products, id, name, package_id, box_id and so on.

- Packages - which contains all of the packing types, pack_id, name (here is also the box_id included).

- Clients - which contains all of the clients plus the id of the products that they can buy.

I want to create one matrix for a chosen customer to show the following information:

Product ID, Product name, Box name, Pack name

Currently my relationships between the tables are like this Clients with Products (M:1), Products with Packages (M:1) two times but only one of the relationship is active (package_id). When I try to calculate the name of the Box_id using the following dax:

Box = CALCULATE(VALUES(Packages[Name]), USERELATIONSHIP(Products[Box_ID],Packages[Pack_ID]))

there is a problem saying that A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected, but all of the relationships between products and packages is M:1.

Can you please give me directions what could be the problem or how could I solve it?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Stefani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@stefani_vileva 

Box = 
CALCULATE(
    SELECTEDVALUE(Packages[Name]),
    USERELATIONSHIP(Products[Box ID],Packages[Pack ID]), 
    CROSSFILTER(Products[Box ID],Packages[Pack ID], Both),
    CROSSFILTER(Clients[Product ID], Products[Product ID], Both)
)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

From your description of the relationship between Products *:1 Packages, I really doubt your measure could work as desired even if it's activated with USERELATIONSHIP.

Normally, filtering propagates from 1 side to * side through relationship; thus, in your case, from Packages to Products. Expanded table or CROSSFILTER() come into play if a reverse filtering is desired.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Thanks @CNENFRNL for the fast reply. Actually, with the expanding I have tried and it is working, but I thought this was a better way and that is why I wanted to solve it. 

SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@stefani_vileva without getting into your model, just looking at your code. The issue is not USERELATIONSHIP. It is the values funcation. You can't return values when there is more than one. Use this:

Box = CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE(Packages[Name]),USERELATIONSHIP(Products[Box_ID],Packages[Pack_ID]))

SELECTEDVALUE(Packages[Name]) is like writing IF(HASONEVALUE(Packages[Name]), VALUES(Packages[Name]),BLANK()

If this solved your question, please mark this as a solution for community visabilty

Thanks @SpartaBI for the fast answer. Unfortunately using your suggested idea it is returning the package name and not the box name even if I have used box_id in the userelationship. I really don't know what is happening.

I just copied your code and modified the reason for the error message you got. Whatever it is you want to bring there, just wrap it with SELECTEDVALUE and not VALUES 

Box = CALCULATE(SELECTEDVALUE(YourTable[Box Name Column]),USERELATIONSHIP(Products[Box_ID],Packages[Pack_ID]))

In this case I got all of the possible combinations of it. I have attached a file with the example file to see it: File 

@stefani_vileva that is another issue 🙂 The reason for the error was what I wrote. I will take a look at your file

@stefani_vileva 

Box = 
CALCULATE(
    SELECTEDVALUE(Packages[Name]),
    USERELATIONSHIP(Products[Box ID],Packages[Pack ID]), 
    CROSSFILTER(Products[Box ID],Packages[Pack ID], Both),
    CROSSFILTER(Clients[Product ID], Products[Product ID], Both)
)

Thank you @SpartaBI. Your solution works!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors