Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use "M" to expand dates in table

Hi,

I was hoping someone is able to advise me as to how to deal with my new challenge. I have a table of contracts. Each row is a contract with start date, end date, volume and colour.

Start dateEnd dateVolumeColour
01-Jan-1801-Dec-181Red
01-Jan-1801-Sep-181Green
01-Feb-1801-Mar-182Purple
01-Jan-1801-Apr-184Red
01-May-1801-Dec-181Blue
01-Feb-1801-May-185Orange
01-Feb-1801-May-182Blue
01-Feb-1801-May-184Red

I would like to plot the data on a column chart by month. The columns would be stacked in each month to give the break-down by colour. For that sake, I would create a calendar table. Shall I create a daily calendar table using CALENDAR() or a monthly calendar table? I don't know how to do the latter but I think it would look like this:

DateVolumeColour
Jan-181Red
Feb-181Red
Mar-181Red
Apr-181Red
May-181Red
Jun-181Red
Jul-181Red
Aug-181Red
Sep-181Red
Oct-181Red
Nov-181Red
Dec-181Red
Jan-181Green
Feb-181Green
Mar-181Green
Apr-181Green
May-181Green
Jun-181Green
Jul-181Green
Aug-181Green
Sep-181Green
Feb-182Purple
Mar-182Purple
Jan-184Red
Feb-184Red
Mar-184Red
Apr-184Red
May-181Blue
Jun-181Blue
Jul-181Blue
Aug-181Blue
Sep-181Blue
Oct-181Blue
Nov-181Blue
Dec-181Blue
Feb-185Orange
Mar-185Orange
Apr-185Orange
May-185Orange
Feb-182Blue
Mar-182Blue
Apr-182Blue
May-182Blue
Feb-184Red
Mar-184Red
Apr-184Red
May-184Red

I guess once I have that table, plotting the column chart is trivial. But how do I get that table? And is that a good approach to the problem?

I guess what I am trying to plot would look like this:

Capture.PNG

Thanks for your help and advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Rather than doing it in DAX, I'd do it in Query Editor using "M".

1. Add new blank query, name it "fnExpand" and paste in following using Advanced Editor.

(sDate as date, eDate as date)=>
let
    Source = List.Generate(()=>sDate, each _ <= eDate, each Date.AddMonths(_,1))
in
    Source

Then in the original table query, Add Column -> Invoke Custom Function.

1.JPG

Then expand to new rows and change data type.

0.JPG

EDIT: I made error in original changed < eDate to <=eDate.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Chihiro
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Rather than doing it in DAX, I'd do it in Query Editor using "M".

1. Add new blank query, name it "fnExpand" and paste in following using Advanced Editor.

(sDate as date, eDate as date)=>
let
    Source = List.Generate(()=>sDate, each _ <= eDate, each Date.AddMonths(_,1))
in
    Source

Then in the original table query, Add Column -> Invoke Custom Function.

1.JPG

Then expand to new rows and change data type.

0.JPG

EDIT: I made error in original changed < eDate to <=eDate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chihiro

Thank you, this is a powerful approach! I have implemented your instructions and it looks encouraging but I have one issue. In my dataset, the start dates and end dates are often the beginning of the month (i.e. 01/mm/yy) but not always. They can be any day of the year as it happens in some cases (e.g. 14/mm/yy). I want fnExpand to be months starting on the first day of the month e.g. if a contract has a volume of 3650 units, start date = 15/05/18 and end date = 14/07/18, then it should expand to 01/05/18 for May-18, 01/06/18 for Jun-18, 01/07/18 for Jul-18 and the volume would be 170, 300, 140 units in each of those expanded months respectively. How can I achieve that? I guess it is possible to tweak your query in the Advanced Editor but I don't know how to do that.

Finally but crucially, a related question is how to plot a time series with monthly granularity when I have all the data on the first day of the months i.e. how to plot the contracts vs time showing 170 units in May-18, 300 units in Jun-18, 140 units in Jul-18. If the answer to this question is that Power BI cannot do charts with monthly granularity on a continuous horizontal axis and that I should use daily granularity, I will need to tweak your query fnExpand to expand into days rather than months, which will multiply the size of my dataset by 30 and is something I want to avoid for the sake of efficiency unless it is strictly necessary. Please let me know your thoughts on this. All my data visualization is by month. No need to drill into days unless Power BI requires that for technical reasons.

Thank you so much!

PS: I edited the subject of this post to better reflect what we are discussing

I'm not entirely clear on the logic here.

"e.g. if a contract has a volume of 3650 units, start date = 15/05/18 and end date = 14/07/18, then it should expand to 01/05/18 for May-18, 01/06/18 for Jun-1801/07/18 for Jul-18 and the volume would be 170, 300, 140 units in each of those expanded months respectively."

To plot time series with monthly granularity, or to perform any sort of time intelligence on data set. I'd start by creating date dimension table. Holding each date of calendar year(s) along with any other date related dimensions and build relationship to the fact table (based on [Date]).

Typically I build it using DAX. Starting from DimDate = CALENDAR(Start Date, End Date)

This will create table with single date column, holding each date from start to end. Then I add calculated columns to suite my need.

Ex:

0.JPG

Then I use appropriate column to plot or calculate measure.

If you need to expand to daily level using fnExpand, you can use Date.AddDays(_, 1) instead of Date.AddMonths(_, 1)

If you want, you can create dimension table using "M" as well.

You'd use fnExpand with Date.AddDays(). Then invoke function outside of query. It will generate list with all dates. Then add any additional columns desired, and perform any transformation needed.

If you need further help, it would be helpful to upload sample data set. Along with expected result (manually generated/inputted).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.