Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SMarshall

Use missingfield.ignore on source data

Hi All,

I have a data source from excel where I have removed numerous columns.  When I go to import the updated excel file with less columns I get the "Missing Fields Error" and am unable to import the data.  I do not want any of those columns, and rebuilding the whole import just for a few missing columns, at this point, would be a massive pain.  I read about the ability to use missingfield.ignore on tables...however, I'm unsure how to use it upon importing the data source.  Ie, is there a way to utilize it on:

= Source{[Item="case_all_sentiment",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data]

For example, = Source{[Item="case_all_sentiment",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],MissingField.Ignore

(NOTE: I know this does not work).  

3 REPLIES 3
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @SMarshall,

MissingField.Ignore is an optional parameter in record and table functions indicating that missing fields should be ignored. So it cannot be used in Source().

And could you please share us your Excel file (or a sample file which can help us repro your issue) with One Drive or Google Drive if possible? So that I can know the actual situation and make some tests.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Hi v-xjiin-msft, 

I appreicate your response and am sorry for getting back to you so late.  Basically, say I have the following columns in an excel spreadsheet

A B C D E

I then build out a very extensive dashboard but discover I no longer need column C.  Rather than uploading a blank cell, I just want column C to be ignored as my new excel file is just 

ABDE.

If this were just one column, I probably wouldn't mind having blank columns.  However, in reality, I have 10-15 columns that have all gotten moved around in order. 

Thus, ideally, I want Power BI to stop erroring out when it hits a "missing" column and just move on and not upload the column any longer.  Is that possible?

SMarshall

Hi All,

I have a data source from excel where I have removed numerous columns.  When I go to import the updated excel file with less columns I get the "Missing Fields Error" and am unable to import the data.  I do not want any of those columns, and rebuilding the whole import just for a few missing columns, at this point, would be a massive pain.  I read about the ability to use missingfield.ignore on tables...however, I'm unsure how to use it upon importing the data source.  Ie, is there a way to utilize it on:

= Source{[Item="case_all_sentiment",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data]

For example, = Source{[Item="case_all_sentiment",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],MissingField.Ignore

(NOTE: I know this does not work).  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.