Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use measures instead of 'Value' column after unpivoting

Hi,

I have a huge table with many columns and I need to create a very unusual looking report based on that one table only. I am open to any changes in my model. My table (simplified) looks somehow like this:

Row category 1Row category 2Row category 3Some text valuesSome number valuesSome datetime values

Now what what's expected from me is to make a matrix that have three row categories, some columns and some subcolumns. As I found in many places, for example here I unpivoted my columns, added some categories and subcategories and wanted to present everything in my matrix visual. So now my table looked like this:

Row category 1Row category 2Row category 3Column categoryColumn subcategoryValue

Great, but now in my "Value" column i got everything mixed; dates, number values, percent values, text names for "Row category 2" and "Row category 3" levels and so on. I can't really do much with what I got, and I need a lot:

1. Names for categories should be displayed only on their levels, please refer to followin links:
    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Disable-Subtotal-for-Text-Column-Matrix/td-p/477611/page/2
    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Remove-subtotal-from-only-one-column-in-a-Matrix-in-Power-B...
    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Only-Total-Select-Values-in-a-Matrix-amp-Formatting-Help/m-...
    In my case there are names for categories on second and third levels and should be displayed in correct rows (top level rows should be blank).
  2. I need columns of different types, text, numbers, percents.
  3. Calculate sums, averages and differencies between certain subcolumns in scope of one column group.
    This for example produces error "Cannot calculate average of text column" because of miscellaneous data in Value column (filters applied should filter out only R8 related fields which are numbers but still):

avg = 
    CALCULATE (
    AVERAGE ( WORK_STATUSES[Value] );
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( WORK_STATUSES[Attribute] );
        WORK_STATUSES[Attribute] = "R8 delta";
        WORK_STATUSES[L1] = "R8"
    )
)​

I'm stuck, I have no idea what to do from where I get or maybe to make few steps back. I'm new to Power BI and to BI in general, please, explain everything to me in simple steps.

Thank you in advance for any help, I know I'm asking for much but please understand my situation.

1 REPLY 1
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Kindly share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.