Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swestendorp
Helper I
Helper I

Use measure to evaluate row value

Hi, 

I want to use a measure to evaluate whether a value in a row is an outlier, but I can't get it to work. 

I have created the following measure:

Outlier =
IF (
    'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
        >= CALCULATE ( [LCL], ALLSELECTED ( 'Estimate vs actual' ) )
        && 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
            <= CALCULATE ( [UCL], ALLSELECTED ( 'Estimate vs actual' ) ),
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

This measure consist out of the following calculated column and measures: 

CALCULATED COLUMN: Variance EvA = IF( 'Estimate vs actual'[Estimate?] = "Estimate", ('Estimate vs actual'[ActualCost] - 'Estimate vs actual'[EstimateCost] ) / 'Estimate vs actual'[EstimateCost], BLANK () )

MEASURE: UCL = CALCULATE( [Mean] + [STDEV] * (2,66) )

MEASURE: LCL = CALCULATE( [Mean] - [STDEV] * (2,66) )
MEASURE: Mean = CALCULATE( AVERAGEX( 'Estimate vs actual', 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ), ALLSELECTED( 'Estimate vs actual' ) )
MEASURE: STDEV = CALCULATE( STDEV.S( 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ), ALLSELECTED( 'Estimate vs actual' ) )

As you can see in the below table, only the first two instances are considered an outlier, whereas I expect every instance above 54,78% to be considered an outlier.  I have a date slicer active, no other outside filters. 

image.png

I have tried to follow the steps mentioned in this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Evaluate-row-value-to-measure-simple-example/m-p/600079#M28..., but that did not solve my problem. 

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @swestendorp 

the Outlier-"Measure" isn't a valid syntax for a measure, as it is missing aggregation-commands. With "SUM" as aggregation it would look like so and work as a measure:

Outlier = 
VAR UCL =
 CALCULATE(
    AVERAGEX( 'Estimate vs actual', 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ) -- Mean
    + STDEV.S( 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ) -- STDEV
    * (2,66),
    ALLSELECTED( 'Estimate vs actual' )
)
VAR LCL = 
 CALCULATE(
    - STDEV.P( 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ) -- STDEV
    * (2,66),
)
RETURN
IF (
    SUM('Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA])
        >=  LCL 
        && SUM('Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA])
            <=  UCL , 
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

So you'd probably have used it as a column? Then of course, the ALLSELECTED wouldn't work, as it would only work on measures (columns values are calculated during load of the data model and are not aware of any filters on the report).

Please check out the attached file where I mocked up some things that should give food for thought (it's got some loose ends that might force you to rethink your requirements).

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @swestendorp 

Using variables should do the job here:

Outlier =
VAR LCL = [LCL]
VAR UCL = [UCL]
Return
IF (
    'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] >= LCL
        && 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] <= UCL,
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

ALLSELECTED is a beast: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/the-definitive-guide-to-allselected/ 

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF !

Thanks so much for taking the time to look at my issue. 

The solution is working when I remove the date filter. So when I keep the date filter active, it still does not return the desired outcome. That's why I added the ALLSELECTED, to take into account my date filter. How can i fix this? 

Best,

Sifra

Hi @swestendorp  

what is shown in the picture you've posted?

The column values for UCL and LCL look alright? if they evluate the right boundaries, then using their expressions in the variables should return the desired result.

Also ALLSELECTED might interfere with each other. So please check if ALLSELECTED is used in any of the referenced measures.

Hi @ImkeF 

Thanks again for your help. 

The upper and lower control limit need to be calculated basis a set of rows, in this case all observations in the past year, and is the same for each observation. Every row should be evaluated basis this static upper & lower control limit. For each observation outside those limits I want to label it as "Outlier" or "No outlier". Graphically it looks like this. 

image.png

I fail to understand your solution, because when I remove the ALLSELECTED part from either the MEAN measure or the STDEV measure, I get a different values for UCL & LCL for each row. Where should I add the ALLSELECT part? 

Your UCL would look like so: Everything in the first argument will be filtered by ALLSELECTED. But ALLSELECTED is just used once:

VAR UCL =
 CALCULATE(
    + STDEV.S( 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ) -- STDEV
    * (2,66),
)
VAR LCL = 

CALCULATE(
    - STDEV.S( 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA] ) -- STDEV
    * (2,66),
)

RETURN

IF (
    'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
        >= LCL 

&& 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
            <= UCL,
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

Hang on: Why do you apply ALLSELECTED to the whole (fact) table instead just on the Date-column of your calendar table?

.. if you're using the INDEX-column from your fact table on your chart, you should use ALLSELECTED just on that column.

Hi @ImkeF 

I am at a loss here. I've done as you suggested, but still I get only the right results when I remove the date filter. I also get results for rows that should be filtered out. 

image.png

Outlier = 
VAR UCL =
 CALCULATE(
    * (2,66),
)
VAR LCL = 
 CALCULATE(
    * (2,66),
)
RETURN
IF (
    'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
        >=  LCL 
        && 'Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA]
            <=  UCL , 
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

From which table does your date-filter come from?

Hi @swestendorp 

the Outlier-"Measure" isn't a valid syntax for a measure, as it is missing aggregation-commands. With "SUM" as aggregation it would look like so and work as a measure:

Outlier = 
VAR UCL =
 CALCULATE(
    * (2,66),
)
VAR LCL = 
 CALCULATE(
    * (2,66),
)
RETURN
IF (
    SUM('Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA])
        >=  LCL 
        && SUM('Estimate vs actual'[Variance EvA])
            <=  UCL , 
    "No Outlier",
    "Outlier"
)

So you'd probably have used it as a column? Then of course, the ALLSELECTED wouldn't work, as it would only work on measures (columns values are calculated during load of the data model and are not aware of any filters on the report).

Please check out the attached file where I mocked up some things that should give food for thought (it's got some loose ends that might force you to rethink your requirements).

Thanks a lot @ImkeF for your help! 

Hi @ImkeF,

Thanks for bearing with me 🙂

This is the situation (=not correct) when I have a date slicer active (which I want)

image.png

This is what it look's like (= correct) when I remove that date filter (which I don't want)

image.png

Best,

Sifra

Hi

rewrite your measure so that you just have on ALLSELECTED in the complete chain. As far as I can see, this means that you cannot reuse the existing MEAN and STDEV, but have to re-state their logic in your "Outlier"-measure, with just one ALLSELECTED in the CALCULATE-wrapper.

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.