Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kalle
Frequent Visitor

Use filter value without filtering data

Hi everybody,

I have a problem and don't know how to solve this. Maybe anybody here has some good ideas.

I have a filter (1) and want to use the selected value as a maximum value for the calculation in (2), but the selected value in (1) should not act as a filter in (2). I only need a selection for a maximum and not a filter. Is this somehow possible?

At the moment all available weeks are shown in (2), because (1) and (2) are not connected. When I connect them only one week is shown, because it filters. I want to choose a value e.g. 12B, then (2) should only show weeks which are before 12B.

1.png

Data looks like this:

Name / Week
11D -> 2017/51
12A -> 2017/52
12B -> 2018/01
12C -> 2018/02

So when I choose 12B, it should show me 2017/51, 2017/52, 2018/01 and NOT 2018/02.
Any ideas???

Thanks,

kalle

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just disable cross-filtering. Click on your Slicer (1). In the ribbon under "Visual tools" choose "Format" and then "Edit Interactions". Click the ghostbuster icon in your other visual to turn off cross filtering. Click "Edit Interactions" again to revert to not editing interactions.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I've already tried that. That's what i've meant with "are not connected". But if i do that, (2) does not know what is selected. But (2) needs to know what is selected in (1), because the maximum shown week should be based on that value.

Hi @kalle,

You can create a measure to get the week based on the selected value in filter1 using the fomula.

week based on selected value =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( Table[week] ),
    FILTER ( Table, Table[Name] = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[Name] ) )
)

Then use the measure above in the visual level filter for visual2. Filter week less than [week based on selected value] measure.

Thanks,
Angelia

My Power Bi somehow doesn't know SELECTEDVALUE. But anyways, is it possible to do it without using the filter on the UI? We user Power Bi Server and provide a Web Interface with an embedded report. Our users are not very familiar with such tools and it should be as easy as possible. So the user should select a name in (1) and the diagram in (2) should show the correct weeks without any extra configuration or filtering.

Hi @kalle,

You use Power BI report server rather than Power BI desktop? SELECTEDVALUE is supported in BI desktop. And if you use Power BI report server community, you'd better post it to report server community.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.