Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Use filter to exclude

Is there a way use a filter to exclude rows?

Example: on selecting "productA" in a filter, i get all products EXCEPT "productA"

Can we create a measure to return  a list or table where the selected value is removed?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@mahimabedi  You need to add to the table an index row. If you don't have, create an index in query mode when you load the table.

On the visual table just add the index column, make sure the defaut calculation for index  is 'Do not summarise' on the values as usually will show sum 

Konstantinos Ioannou

View solution in original post

Hi @mahimabedi,

In addition, with the help of the Query Parameter, you can also achieve your requirement. When you run the report, you can change prefer parameter value to filter corresponding data rows, instead of setting any report filter or slicer.

In your scenario, you can create a query parameter and list all products. Then set the filter with "does not equal" in Query Editor

like below:

q1.PNG

For more information, you can take a look at this article: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is a new function in powerbi.

but you have to create the table using the visual "Matrix"

when you right click on a row you would like to exclude, there should be an "exclude" on the pop up menu.

yfeng_0-1646145735043.png

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hey,

There is a way to do it, but it's not trivial. Measures can't return lists or tables, they have to evaluate to values, so the measure you described isn't possible. You can write measures to do aggregations based on NOT "productA". Here's an example:

CountSomethingMeasure =
SUMX(SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[Product]), COUNTROWS(FILTER(CALCULATETABLE(Table, ALLEXCEPT(Table, Table[SomeOtherFilter])), Table[Product] <> EARLIER(Table[Product])))) / IF(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Product]) = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Product]), ALL(Table[Product])), MAX(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Product]) - 1, 1), 1)

SomeOtherFilter is there just to show how you could possibly keep other filters that are applied eg. if you want to filter by Location and by not product, you could change [SomeOtherFilter] to [Location].

That would give you the number of rows in a Table that are not associated with the selected product. If nothing is selected, it would give the total number of rows. It does not support selecting more than one product to omit (let me know if that functionality is important and I can give it a shot).

@jahida @mahimabedi   Really interesting..I was trying to test EXCEPT() for a long time & now is the time..

I create a table 'Sales' 

ProductAmount

A5
A5
A5
B5
B5
B5
C5
C5

a table 'Products'

Product

A
B
C

Then create the relantionship ( one way ) and the formula

Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Amount]);EXCEPT(ALL(Products);Products))

Result :  

1.PNG

* You need to use the column from sales table, else if use the column from Product it gives you the correct sum but shows the selected product.

Konstantinos Ioannou

Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Amount]);EXCEPT(ALL(Products);Products))

i am using same its not working i my power bi. can you suggest me. 

jahida
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Much better than my solution, well done.

Hi @mahimabedi,

In addition, with the help of the Query Parameter, you can also achieve your requirement. When you run the report, you can change prefer parameter value to filter corresponding data rows, instead of setting any report filter or slicer.

In your scenario, you can create a query parameter and list all products. Then set the filter with "does not equal" in Query Editor

like below:

q1.PNG

For more information, you can take a look at this article: Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to get to this step but I coouldn't get to the filter pop up window. Could you explain how you got here?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way I can do this in DIrect Query mode, this method can only be done in import mode.

@jahida Yours also works with previous DAX versions, mine not 🙂

Konstantinos Ioannou

Thats sweet and simple! But how do i return a table instaed of a calculation

Is there a way to return a subset of a table but using a filter to exclude rows.

example if i have table 1

A20
B20
A30
C10
B40
C10

On using a slicer- when i select "A"- it should return a table 

B20
C10
B40
C10

I have a similar requirement in my current assignment.

Ive designed a bar graph & table summary visualizations by importing a model(table) from azure db source.

some columns in the model were used as slicers on the report page.

on a particular column selection i.e., slicer value selection ; I need both the visualizations(bar graph & table summary) to be refreshed with the corresponding data having all the column values except the slicer value selection that I made above.

could you please help me on this!

*TIA* 

@mahimabedi  You need to add to the table an index row. If you don't have, create an index in query mode when you load the table.

On the visual table just add the index column, make sure the defaut calculation for index  is 'Do not summarise' on the values as usually will show sum 

Konstantinos Ioannou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.