Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use a single date range slicer for several visualizations with different date ranges.

Hello all.

I am new to power bi and coming from gds. I am sorry in advance for comparisson but the idea is to explain myself better for effective comprehension of my doubt.

I have a dashboard with 3 KPIs cards (sales, revenue and collection) and all of them with different and independent dates in the same table but different columns.

In gds I am able to assign a date range dimension to every metric (KPI) and insert a generic date range slicer and once I set it to an specific range of date all KPI shows the sepecific value within its corresponding date range assigned.

In power bi I can see that I can configure filters at visualization, page and report levels. So if I need to see the behaviour in last week of my KPIs then I would need to change all 3 filters at visualization level for last week.

Is there a way in power bi to insert a single date range slicer and al kpi show the corresponding value to its specific date range?

Thanks in advance for your support,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous this is ok to have an inactive relationship, you can have only one active relationship between tables, to use inactive relationship in your calculation, use userrelationship function, for example where a relationship is inactive, you will create measure sometimes like this:

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE ( 
SUM ( Table[Amount] ),
USERELATIONSHIP ( TableDate[Date], Table[BrandDate] ) --this will name of the column with inactive relationship
) 

likewise, you will create 2nd measure for 2nd inactive relationship, in your visual, use date from date table, and these measures and all will work as expected.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

if you create a date table

ie  in the modelling table select a new table and  in the calculation window type date = calendarauto(), this will create a table called date and automatically pick up all the dates in your model, as long as they are all date data types  and then in the relationships screen link each date in each table to this new date in the table called date

then you build the slicer off the new table 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your support.

When trying to create relationship only 1 of 3 gets active and whe trying to activate other 3 relationships I get an error message saying "You can't create a direct active relationship between Opportunity and Brand because that would introduce ambiguity between tables .... and ...."

3 date columns are in one table and I am creating the relationship with the table suggested to be created.

@jorgheo can share the relationship diagram and where you are getting this error, a bit difficult to visualize and understand without seeing it.

@Anonymous can you share the relationship diagram and where you are getting this error, bit hard to visualize and understand without seeing it.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k absolutely . Please find some screenshots

Relationship problem.png

@Anonymous this is ok to have an inactive relationship, you can have only one active relationship between tables, to use inactive relationship in your calculation, use userrelationship function, for example where a relationship is inactive, you will create measure sometimes like this:

Measure 2 = 
CALCULATE ( 
SUM ( Table[Amount] ),
USERELATIONSHIP ( TableDate[Date], Table[BrandDate] ) --this will name of the column with inactive relationship
) 

likewise, you will create 2nd measure for 2nd inactive relationship, in your visual, use date from date table, and these measures and all will work as expected.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This answer rocks!!! Thank you so much! I was really struggling with this one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @parry2k  this solved the problem of the relationship. Thank you @vanessafvg too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.